file save operation failed... followed swiftly by a crash

I have been working on a different machine today and keep getting the following happen:

- I'm working happily away in a file, autosave is set for every 10 mins, with a reminder, overwriting the original file. Autosave is saving every 10 minutes, working fine, which is just as well.

- I want to save and quit a file, so I hit apple-S

- it tells me 'The file save operation failed. Please try again or save to a different location'

- so I go to go to file/save as and it briefly gives me the marble of doom, before VW quits. In fact, whatever I do next, wherever I click, it gives me the marble of doom and then crashes. Rest of the computer seems to carry on running fine, just VW crashing.

- the connection to the server (where the files are being saved) doesn't seem to be dropping as the connection is still there when I go to reopen the file that it's just thrown me out of.

Any ideas?

---

MacPro tower, 2 x 2.8GHz quad core intel xeon, 4GB ram, OS 10.5.8

VW Architect 2010, SP1

The only time I've ever seen a similar message is when I've renamed the file I was working on in the finder (probably not very smart of me) or moved the file to a different folder while the file was open..

Then Save As instead of Save saved me from myself.

Is it possible that it is looking for the folder to save the file in on a network that the computer isn't seeing?

hth

michaelk

Nope, the files are not moving or being renamed whilst they're open, neither is the folder (on the server) that they live in. Neither is the computer dropping the server connection. The files can be only being opened to change the issue date, or print or pdf them, then saved (automatic reflex sometimes rather than actually needing saving) and then closed. It seems that this only happens when the apple-S directly follows the file being pdf-ed. We create pdfs by going through the print dialogue box, and selecting the bottom left 'create pdf' button.

Any other ideas from anyone?!

• 2 weeks later...

This is only happening to one of our 3 machines that are running VW2010, regardless of who is working on it (the application of patience doesn't sole the problem). All of us work of the server all of the time so there is never any local saving of files, although trying that did seem to solve the problem. Well, I say solve the problem, it stopped VW crashing but we cannot work like this, all of us need access to all of the files all of the time, which is why they're on the server.

This is only happening to one of our 3 machines that are running VW2010, regardless of who is working on it (the application of patience doesn't sole the problem). All of us work of the server all of the time so there is never any local saving of files, although trying that did seem to solve the problem. Well, I say solve the problem, it stopped VW crashing but we cannot work like this, all of us need access to all of the files all of the time, which is why they're on the server.

• 2 months later...

We have seen this with VW2008, VW2009 and VW2010, on Macs running OS10.5 and 10.6, with files stored on server running OSX10.3, 10.4 and 10.5.

We have no been able to get to the bottom of it, except note that file permissions on the server seem to be mucked up, with files that ought to be read/write becoming read only.

Would love to know how to fix this.

• 1 month later...

Could well be a memory/RAM issue on the local machine(s). I've noticed the "The file save operation failed. Please try again, or save to a different location" message then crash follows VW struggling with lack of memory when updating VPs. This would explain why you're getting it (i) when you have multiple files or programs open (which lowers available RAM) (i) following pdf creation, as VP will update before export (iii) despite no drop in server connection, as it's a local machine memory issue.