Masking links

When you have a floor plan and then you want to enlarge a portion of it, a bathroom for example, you can link a layer to the floor plan and change the scale. The problem is that now you have to mask the rest of the floor plan that you don?t want to see. A nice way to do that is to put a mask on another layer on top of the enlarged one and cut out openings in it to show what you want and with the edit polygon tool you can move and resize these openings. To avoid all this you could make the bathroom a symbol (trimming the walls) and copy it to the enlarged scale layer to assure updating. Or you could put the bathroom alone on another layer and link this layer and when you want to display the whole plan, you could turn on the two layers (partial plan +bath plan) altogether.

Still all this has some drawbacks. My solution so far is doing things the other way around, draw the bathroom and the immediate walls around it on the enlarged plan layer and link it back to the floor plan layer so to get just what I want. After all when you manufacture something, first you create the pieces and then you assembly them.

Is there a better way, maybe somebody has a script or something to easily mask drawings, like in Illustrator where you draw a polygon on top of what you want to show and the rest disappear or like a view port in AutoCAD? Thanks.

davide-

this issue has been kicking around for a while in these forums. take a look and see some of the other suggestions people have. i use the same method that you do with one minor difference. i will develop my entire plan thru SD and DD, then when i am ready to go into CD's then i will cut out those areas of the plan that i want to have enlarged, paste them into partial plan layersand then link them back into the floor plan. by doing this i eliminate a lot of back and forth btwn layers, which saves a lot of time, esp. in VW 9. i have even used the same method with workgroup referencing on occassion.

i have used masking in the past, but find it to be too combersome, esp. when printing to a postscript plotter, since PS reads the white of the mask, and factors it in the computations, make the file larger and taking longer to process.

hope this helps.

------------------

rich carrroll

carrollarchitects