3D file import

The current facilities for importing 3rd party 3D file formats is very limited. The only available function is the import of .IGES and dxf files. Whilst looking on the internet for available model downloads I've never come across a site with .IGES files. And when you import dxf files it converts every thing into 3D polygons, which end up taking up huge amounts of file size.

My questions

Am I importing dxf files incorectly, is there a way of converting them into nurb surfaces?

Does any one know of a site that has .IGES models available for download?

Is there a way to convert the popular file types (.dwg .dxf .3ds .max, lightwave, Maya etc) into .IGES file type?

Is Nemetschek considering supporting a more varied array of 3D file types?

I noticed on Apples web site a download for an open source 3D file format including the source code for Maya. It's called GTO fiel format. Any one who's interested can take a look at this link.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/gto3dfileformat.html

Azizg, it's highly unlikely that you'll find many IGES file downloads on the web. The IGES standard goes way back and has much use in the CAM industry.

There's not many options for importing DXF into VW, so I'm sure you're doing it right. 3D DXF files will always by polygonal in nature because the DXF format doesn't support nurbs surfaces.

About the only import/export format VW has that will support surfaces is ACIS (commonly called SAT). You might find a few ACIS downloads, but the proliferation of DXF models on the web (as well as 3D studio *.3ds) is due to the fact they they are just 3D polygons and very easy to read into a 3D application.

For me personally, I don't try to import much into VW in the way of 3D. DXF works great for 2D drawings, but importing 3D will end up being 3D polygons 99 percent of the time.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In VW11 we support stand alone ACIS SAT import/export. But the other thing that is improved now is that ACIS SOLIDS embedded within the DXF file will no longer be polygonal when imported into VW - they will be NURBS based solids.