A couple suggestions

Here are a couple little things that I think could be easily tweaked to work better.

Save Alerts.

The preference refers to a save reminder. The dialogue that appears says, "this document has not been saved for..." In fact it is really seems to be just a reminder, i.e. I don't think it is really aware of how long since the last save, only since the last reminder. If I save soon before a reminder is due, I get the reminder, when what I would really like is to start the clock again at that point and not have the extra interruption to the work flow.

Trim tool:

Not to open old wounds, but the new tool is really neat for what it does. It's the trim tool Arnold Swartzeneger would insist on. It trims everything in its path. To me that is a useful addition to the tool set. I wish, though, that when it crosses a polygon, it would leave it a polygon and not turn it into a polyline. I don't see the benefit in having it a polyline. I can get it back to a polygon by choosing "convert to polygons", but why make me do the extra step? A polyline is incovienient because, aside from being no improvement over a polygon, if I should do another trim in the vicinity at hit the polyline, I'll lose a vertext which means that the shape of the shaded area changes, which means that I have to reconstruct it, which is more steps.

Regards,

Donald

Donald,

I'm confused - the Trim Tool (scissors icon) seems to behave as it always did, and requires the user to click on an object before it is trimmed. Are you referring to a different trim tool?

I agree enthusiastically with the suggestion on the save prompt. It is nothing short of annoying, but I leave it on because annoyance is better than losing a bunch of time if I get lost in my work and forget to save often enough.

VW 9.0.1

Win 2000

[This message has been edited by P Retondo (edited 09-01-2001).]

Peter,

I mispoke somewhat. The correct tool name is the "split" tool, there being two modes, split by point and split by line. I had not seen this tool prior to v.9. But you got me thinking that I will have to go back and look at the old trim (scissors) tool. I never kept that one on my pallette because I preferred the behavior of the trim command, of so much discussion. I think the split tool was intended originally to replace the trim command, but maybe the NNA folks think otherwise.

Regarding save prompt, I'm with you. But I never used to use it until our beloved Gov. Davis, in a desperate bid for political prominence, and a cowardly failure to face reality, proceeded to bankrupt the two largest utilities in the Republic of California and placed into doubt the reliability of the juice we use to make drawings. It was then I noticed what you describe.

Donald