Asteroid

chrismahoney1

Question

To those who keep up-to-date with current updates with competing CAD programs like SolidEdge and ProDesktop etc, there is a new device on the market.

It's called the Asteroid, and allows for the freedom of a 3D operator to virtually 'Fly Throughougt' the object that is currently being drawn.

Its basically an ergonomic ball that fits into your hand, and can be moved throughout all 6 dimensions (3 lineal, 3 rotational dimensions).

What it does, is it draws Vector diagrams depending on where it is the operator pushes it, and alters the view on screen to fit the new viewpoint. Its similar to the 'Flyover' tool in VectorWorks 2009, but can be used without the aid of a mouse.

You can read more about this on the following website: http://www.spatialfreedom.com/pages/default.asp

I'd like VectorWorks to make an update, a module, a pallet, something, that allows for this Device to be plugged into my computer, and me being able to use it to aid my drawings.

I think that this new technology would be a serious asset to VectorWorks, and I highly recomend its inclusion into the program

Edited by chrismahoney1

19 answers to this question

Patience Glasshopper.

Sorry Chris, i couldn't resist.

Asteroid appears to be a newish toy, at least seems that way to me and i think you may find that whilst the "Powers That Be" may well read all our requests they seldom reply directly unless it's help on solving a situation you are stuck with. Instead they surprise us by including our wishes in subsequent releases. patches, upgrades. Call them what you will.

You may sometimes get info from one who knows another who heard that there may be something happening along certain lines, or whispers, or inside info or . . . . .

Nothing so far would suggest that as yet, no one has heard any further details regarding Asteroid so i'm afraid for now all you can do is be patient for a while longer.

And hope . . .

:)

Thank you AndiACD, I may be a bit impatient, but your experience is reassuring, and don't worry about the Glasshopper thing, it is my title anyway.

Thomas Wagensommerer has the right idea in that with the current programming, the 2 axis of the mouse controlls the 6 axis of the object. Whereas as asteroid enables the use of all 6 axis in a professional and easy to use way.

Unfortunately, though, thats the same with all CAD programs (to an extent), and even the gameing industry (although their methods are a little different, the concept is the same).

But you see, programs like SolidEdge and ProDesktop etc, have already made modules within their programs for the asteroid itself. So why can't VectorWorks?

Thats just my opinion anyway, and is at the very top of my wishlist

Edited by chrismahoney1
I don't really see much overlap between the markets for a $180 mouse and a $1000 CAD program.

I dont know what you mean. If it really works and saves you time it is well worth $180. Even then, SpaceNavigator is available for $65.

I gave it a try, because for $65 its worth it even for the little chance it could have saved us some work. Unfortunately it did not work out, otherwise I would have bought space navigators for every machine in the office..

Sure from your standpoint that makes sense.

But how many extra copies of Vectorworks would better integration of space navigator sell?

The issue isn't your productivity, it's NNA's. What's their ROI?

I suspect it's negative.

Space navigator support isn't going to drive sales of Vectorworks, and the development tools probably were less robust than they had been led to expect before undertaking the project.

But at least there are drivers for both platforms.

In the case of Asteroid, there isn't support for OhSex.

Very low? May I ask why? I'm not an expert, nor am I extreemly knowedgable on the subject, but there must be a reason why it is low when there are so many advantages to be gained by the Asteroid.

Since you're admittedly neither an expert nor extremely knowledgeable on the subject, on what basis have you determined that there are so many advantages?

Edited by brudgers

Have you read the website? Have you met the creator? Have you experienced the Asteroid?

I have, and I have found that the amount of advantages to be gained greatly outweighs those that are used on the common mouse.

I'm not an expert, nor am I extreemly knowedgable, but I do have experience. So I guess you could say I'm hooked.

Have you read the website? Have you met the creator? Have you experienced the Asteroid?

I have, and I have found that the amount of advantages to be gained greatly outweighs those that are used on the common mouse.

I'm not an expert, nor am I extreemly knowedgable, but I do have experience. So I guess you could say I'm hooked.

If the creator sends me one, I'll try it out.

Since you're admittedly neither an expert nor extremely knowledgeable on the subject, on what basis have you determined that there are so many advantages?

Ben, i thought the idea of being able to ask questions here was to get help from those with a longer running association with a product, not belittling for the lack thereof . . .

help?

I wouldnt say that I have a question as such. But I would like to make it known to the Engineers and Designers of VectorWorks, as well as long time, advanced users of VectorWorks that this is a very benificial device that could help alot of people.

All of my posts have been about Asteroid being used in VectorWorks. I know alot about Asteroid, and I know alot about VectorWorks. But i dont know alot about the Asteroid being used in VectorWorks.

Is it benificial?

Can it be done?

What protocol must be adhered to?

Will people even use it?

All of these questions can be answered not by an extensive knowledge of VectorWorks or the Asteroid, but from experience of past devices and upgrades, and how successful they have been.

I'm not doing anything wrong by talking about something I wish to be included in VectorWorks programming in the Wishlist forum. If anything, I'm doing the right thing.

And for that, thank you AndiACD

Edited by chrismahoney1

i think that the present format of input devices has really gone as far as it can and Asteroid offers a new insight into what(hopefully) is to come regarding 3D modeling. Although letting go of my tablet might be difficult.(maybe a combo of asteroid and wacom . . . . . . . freedom AND precision)

Being able to see any part of an object\objects without being obliged to switch view would be great.

Just like working constantly using the "Flyover" tool but being able to edit and create objects at the same time.

Neat!!

:)

Edited by AndiACD

I do apologise about spelling, I have a graphical mindset, not an analytical mindset.

Thats the idea behind the use of the Astroid, it's to allow for the freedom and flexibility of being able to view all aspects of your object, without being constricted by the preset views.

It may take a little bit of getting used to at first, with the drawing and flying being combined, but in the long run, will prove to be benificial for both production and experinentation.

Plus, when creating presentations for showing clients / spectators the finished product, instead of doing it with traditional orthographic views or flyover adaption, it could be done with the Astroid, and allow for maximium visiibility, and greater understanding from the aspect of the client / spectator.

Great for everybody, right?