Printing Area / Selection

I seem to be having a few difficulties with printing, or more specifically matching print area to page.

1. If A4 selected as Print Area, this will print as 4 pages, using printer set up for A4. Selecting One Page as print area is smaller than the required A4.

2. When A2 drawing was scaled, using VW printing scaler (48%), the printed drawing was considerably smaller than the screen displayed (relative to page border on screen).

Rescaling layers and printing at 100% scale was more consistent.

3. Selection of specific area of drawing for printing seems to be a bit.... cumbersome.

4. Print Preview?

While I detest ACAD, I do find the printing setup and selections to be more precise and predictable (only thing in ACAD that is) and would like someone to assist, or indicate that I'm not alone here and that these issues are on the wish list. smile.gif

VW9.0.1

Win98SE

296M

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

VW's "one page" setting is smaller than the gross area of a page; it takes into account printer margins. As for printing a specified area, you should enable the 'print current view only' button in the print range. I may well be missing something, but I don't find this cumbersome. (We're always open to suggestion, though....)

1. As Robert said, the "One Page" selection in the Set Print Area dialog box takes teh margins of the printer into account as reported by the printer driver. It is not pysicaly possable for most printers to print all the way to the edge of the paper.

2. The scale options in the print dialog take effect after everything else. You are effectivly telling hte printer, here is my page, now shrink or expand it by this percent. Rescaling the layer, or creating a new layer + layer link is the perfered way of printing at a different scales. Layer Links can display a single or group of layers at any scale.

3. The grey border you see on the screen is what VectorWorks intereperates as the page boundry. You can move this around with the page move tool. It is in the 2D tool pallet and in a submenu with the page grab tool (the hand).

4. Print Preview has been requested by a number of users, however the page boundry on the screen is effectivly a print preview as you should see exactly that output. Some printer drivers provide their own preview, but this is up to the manufacturer. Also, MacOS X has the ability to generate a preview in it's default printing system.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by Noidge:

I seem to be having a few difficulties with printing, or more specifically matching print area to page.

1. If A4 selected as Print Area, this will print as 4 pages, using printer set up for A4. Selecting One Page as print area is smaller than the required A4.

2. When A2 drawing was scaled, using VW printing scaler (48%), the printed drawing was considerably smaller than the screen displayed (relative to page border on screen).

Rescaling layers and printing at 100% scale was more consistent.

3. Selection of specific area of drawing for printing seems to be a bit.... cumbersome.

4. Print Preview?

While I detest ACAD, I do find the printing setup and selections to be more precise and predictable (only thing in ACAD that is) and would like someone to assist, or indicate that I'm not alone here and that these issues are on the wish list.
smile.gif

VW9.0.1

Win98SE

296M