Why wont this extrude...?

It seems in ExtrudeProblemProgress.vwx you have 3 objects on top of one another, 2 polylines and 1 extrude. The extrude is only 12mm high so might look like it is flat in 3D. If you use the OIP to change the extrusion height to say 2000mm it will show what I mean.

You original drawing needed to use the combine tool (as Ray mentioned) to make the 4 polylines into one.

I make a lot of strange shaped objects for extruding. I find it best to think differently. Rather than build your object as segments, join the segments, and then extrude; instead, use closed objects, add and/or clip them to make the object you want, and then extrude. I find that VW likes this way better. The resulting object is "clean" and renders correctly. Here's an example: Draw a circle. Draw another circle of a smaller diameter and concentric inside the first circle. Select both circles. Use the clip command under the modify menu. Hit the delete key to remove the center circle. Now you have a doughnut shape. Draw a square that covers the left half of the doughnut. Clip and delete again. View in right ISO, extrude and render hidden line, and you will see the results. Once you get this, then try the clip tool. It can be used to quickly remove parts of closed objects. I attached a PDF that show's how to do this.

I used to use Bruce's method all the time, as it was part of my 2D workflow so it carried over when I began using 3D more heavily. You do need to be aware it can cause artifact lines if you are clipping a hole in the centre of a surface and rendering using Open GL. I have attached an example.

Of interest, this is the first time I have done a side by side example in VW2010. I was surprised how differently the rendered line quality is from one method of 3D construction to another...... especially given the solid shapes are essentially the same.

Kevin