Sketchup Import

In VW, I start a new file, then select "Import Sketchup...", a browse window opens and I select my Sketchup file. Next an "Import Settings" dialog opens with options. After clicking OK, nothing happens. No pause like it's thinking. No new layers, classes, objects, anything.

I've tried importing models from 3dwarehouse, and even saving a file with a single piece of geometry, a box. As I said before, I've saved the file as v7, v6, v5, v4, v3 in Sketchup. I've tried using the different options in the Import Settings to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just imported a ton of Sketchup models from a client for my current project. VW 2009 functions best with Sketchup 6 files IF you have VW 2009 SP4 installed. If that doesn't fix it then it's possible that you aren't waiting long enough for the files to compile. I know for me running a top of the line fully loaded MacBookPro it took several minutes to import some of the more complex Sketchup files. The more curvature the object has, the more polygons VW has to attempt to translate.

Also if you're getting your files from 3D Warehouse, you need to remember that many of the artists on there are novices and do not fully understand how to model in Sketchup. I found that the more experienced users tend to group shapes which VW understands and imports beautifully.

The ultimate quick fix solution though, is to buy a copy of Sketchup 7 Pro (around $550) and export out of Sketchup as a 3DS file with textures (MAKE SURE TO CREATE A NEW FOLDER TO PUT THE 3DS FILE IN! Or else you'll be very sad when one of your nice, tidy folders is mucked up with hundreds of files). The Sketchup->3DS->VW translation comes with a price though, and that price is outrageous file sizes. This is because 3DS is not a solid modeling program like VW, Sketchup or SolidWorks, it's an animation program that sees each individual poly face as a fragment of a texture (VERY inefficient).

Truth be told, 99 times out of 100 you're better off modeling it yourself in VW.

Hope that helps.

-G.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help!

I believe this may be an issue with 2009 SP4. I received a 30 day demo from VW of 2010 although I haven't yet upgraded my license yet (hopefully very soon!). Using 2010, imports from Sketchup using the method I described in my last post are successful.

As for 2009 SP4...

Or it may just take a while, or the scale may be way off or it's on other layer/layers

After going through the import dialog, 2009 doesn't display any indication that it's doing anything. My scale is 1:1, there are no new design layers. With 2010, a new Layer0 is created with the imported model.

VW 2009 functions best with Sketchup 6 files IF you have VW 2009 SP4 installed. If that doesn't fix it then it's possible that you aren't waiting long enough for the files to compile.

I'm using 2009 SP4. I assume that while I'm waiting for the import to complete, VW would be unusable and show signs that it's working (as it does when rendering, etc), yes? Because I can continue to use VW immediately after clicking done in the import dialog, this leads me to believe it's not working.

Edited by ljmunz
I'm using 2009 SP4. I assume that while I'm waiting for the import to complete, VW would be unusable and show signs that it's working (as it does when rendering, etc), yes? Because I can continue to use VW immediately after clicking done in the import dialog, this leads me to believe it's not working.

That is exactly what was happening to me when I first tried to import Sketchup into 09SP4. Can you send me the file, or a link to the file?

MacG3Freak AT aol DOT com

Here's a link to a Sketchup v6 file with simply a rectangle that's been extruded into a 3d cube.

(apparently you can't upload .skb files to this forum)

http://tmsomaha.com/share/cube.skp

Create a new file in VW2010 SP1 and importing works as expected... A new design layer "Layer0" is created with the model.

Doing the same in VW2009 SP4 doesn't do anything. No new design layer or model.

Edited by ljmunz
  • 5 months later...