precision input and wall bugs...

HELL0 -

There are some strange things occuring with walls, and one disabling bug when doing precision inputs in VWA9.0.1 for Macintosh. These occur on all machines (G3's and G4's) in our office.

1. This is the main problem which occurs in 9.0.1 and NOT in 9.0 - There are glitches when drawing 'walls', polygons, etc., in plan when using the 'tab' key to move through the data entry fields at the top of the screen. For example: begin a wall, then tab once to move to the 'x' field. Then enter a dimension of 3', for example, and push the return key. The result is that a horizontal wall that is 3 ft. long is drawn and the wall tool is still activated, 'waiting' to be continued. It used to be (in VW8.x and VWA9.0) that I could continue the wall 12" vertically (for example) by tabbing over to the 'y' field and entering a dimension of 12". When this is done in VWA9.0.1, the wall jumps to a spot that is 12" vertically, but ALSO 3 FT. HORIZONTALLY. I assume this is bug, not a new feature, of 9.0.1.

2. When the wall tool is picked, a wall is started, and single clicks are used to change the direction of the wall (but not end the operation), the wall edges seem to be shooting off in odd directions as the mouse is curser is moved around on the screen. Related to this, it seems that the smart cursor cues are working correctly, although what is drawn on the screen is not. For example, when continuing a wall after several single clicks, if I want to make another horizontal portion of wall, the smart curser cue will be 'horz' but the wall will be drawn (before clicking) at an odd angle which is not horizontal. If I then click when the cue says 'horz', indeed the wall is completed correctly, i.e. horizontal. I'm sure this is confusing.

more fundamental stuff that needs to be fixed soon...

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

quote:

Originally posted by doug shaffer:

1. This is the main problem which occurs in 9.0.1 and NOT in 9.0 - There are glitches when drawing 'walls', polygons, etc., in plan when using the 'tab' key to move through the data entry fields at the top of the screen. For example: begin a wall, then tab once to move to the 'x' field. Then enter a dimension of 3', for example, and push the return key. The result is that a horizontal wall that is 3 ft. long is drawn and the wall tool is still activated, 'waiting' to be continued. It used to be (in VW8.x and VWA9.0) that I could continue the wall 12" vertically (for example) by tabbing over to the 'y' field and entering a dimension of 12". When this is done in VWA9.0.1, the wall jumps to a spot that is 12" vertically, but ALSO 3 FT. HORIZONTALLY. I assume this is bug, not a new feature, of 9.0.1.

Doug,

I'm having trouble duplicating how this works differently in 9.0.1. If I click in the drawing with the wall tool and hit tab the "+-X" field is highlighted. When I type in "3'" and hit return the endpoint of the wall is no constrained to 3' to the right of the starting point. It can be moved in the Y direction but not X. Now if I hit tab twice to highlight the "+-Y" field, type in "12"", and hit return, the wall is also constrained in the Y direction to 12" up from the starting point. The second point is now fully constrained and moving the mouse has no effect on the second point.

This seems identical to how it has worked in 9.0.0 and 8.5.2, so I must be missing a step. Can you see what I'm doing differently from you?

Regards,

Sean

------------------

Sean Flaherty

CTO

Nemetschek North America

flaherty@nemetschek.net

Sean -

Thanks for your response. It does look like I missed one step in my description. In my originally described procedure, I should have indicated that I was trying to draw TWO walls, not one, and the procedure I described does not result in two walls. Sorry.

Here is a better example: The result I want is a 3 ft. piece of horizontal wall and a 5 ft. piece vertical wall joined with a corner joint. It used to be that I could single click to begin a horizontal wall, tab over to the 'x' field and type 3', press return, THEN SINGLE CLICK (the step I originally left out) while the wall is constrained horizonatlly. The result is a 3ft. horizontal section of wall, and I am allowed then to continue the wall vertically. However, when I tab over to the 'y' field, type in 5', and hit 'return', the wall is offset 5' vertically AND 3' HORIZONTALLY. This is where 8.5.2 and 9.0 are different from 9.0.1.

Note that this occurs with any precision input operation you may be performing.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

thanks again,

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

• 3 weeks later...

Doug,

I have tried this in both 8.5.2 and 9.0.1 and I am seeing the exact same results.

Select the wall tool.

Click to place the starting point.

Tab to the Length and enter 3', press enter

Tab to the angle and enter 0 or press the sift key to constrain to a common angle.

Click to place the end of that segment

Tab to the Length and enter 5', press enter

Tab to the angle and enter 90 or press shift to constrain and use the mouse

Click to start a new segment or double click to end the wall

As far as I can tell this procedure is identical in both versions.

Upon stepping through what you describe exactly, I see what you are talking about. There is a condition that if you do not actually move the mouse it does not accept that point. It is similar to when drawing a dimension line, if you want the line to be on top of the object rather than a distance perpendicularly away it will abort the dimension unless you move it out and then back again.

I will document this in our bug list and see what other information I can find.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by doug shaffer:

Sean -

Does the description above make sense? We do alot of renovation work, and the old (8.5.2) behavior was extremely convenient for drawing existing floor plans.

I hope this can be changed for 9.5.

thanks -

Matthew -

Thanks for looking into this. I agree that the 'length' and 'angle' precision input fields work identically in 8.5.2 and 9.0.1. The procedure I am enquiring about regards the use of the 'x' and 'y' fields.

Do bugs #23677 and #23678 address my problem? How do I 'inquire about' them?

thanks

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

We have actually found two bugs in this process and will update you further when we have a resolution. For future reference inquire about bug #23677 and #23678.

Matthew Giampapa

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Giampapa:

Doug,

I have tried this in both 8.5.2 and 9.0.1 and I am seeing the exact same results.

Select the wall tool.

Click to place the starting point.

Tab to the Length and enter 3', press enter

Tab to the angle and enter 0 or press the sift key to constrain to a common angle.

Click to place the end of that segment

Tab to the Length and enter 5', press enter

Tab to the angle and enter 90 or press shift to constrain and use the mouse

Click to start a new segment or double click to end the wall

As far as I can tell this procedure is identical in both versions.

Upon stepping through what you describe exactly, I see what you are talking about. There is a condition that if you do not actually move the mouse it does not accept that point. It is similar to when drawing a dimension line, if you want the line to be on top of the object rather than a distance perpendicularly away it will abort the dimension unless you move it out and then back again.

I will document this in our bug list and see what other information I can find.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support