Machine rejecting install DVD for Architect w/ Renderworks

Gary D

Question

13 answers to this question

I had the same problem w/ my MacBook Pro. It wouldn't read the install disc. But my MacBook would.

I just started the MacBook in target mode, connected the two via fireware cable and it installed just fine.

I've had other discs from NNA not work on my MBP. Next time I go home I hope to have the optical drive looked at/replaced.

Thanks for all the advice. Took my MBP to Genius Bar and they fixed DVD reader with a blast of air. Machine now reads VW DVD fine.

Now having problems with install. Looks like it installs then I get "Installation Failed." Sometimes it won't let me install and I get "IOError: [Errno5] Input/Error." Have sent "installerlog.txt" to VW tech. I Hope I can work it out. Frustrating.

It sounds like the DVD drive still isn't able to read the contents of the DVD very effectively. Try copying the contents of the DVD to your local hard disk and running it from there.

You need to copy the entire contents of the DVD to the computer.

Make a folder on your Desktop called VWInstaller. Open this folder. In another Finder window, open the DVD. Select all items visible in the DVD (should include InstallVectorworks, Packages, Manual (PDF), etc) and drag those to your VWInstaller directory.

Now try running InstallVectorworks from your VWInstaller directory.

Edited by jkelly

Thanks again for your help.

When I followed your instructions, it looked like it was going to work (VWInstaller folder shows 265.96 GB available when before it showed zero). However, in copying Vectorworks to VWInstaller folder copying seemed to hang at 636.7 MB of 5.1 GB. It has hung at that point for about four hours.

Hi Ray. I followed your suggestion of copying contents of VW to old mac then migrating files to new mac, and installing VW that way. I worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion.

It seems like the interface between the VW install disc and my optical reader was causing all the problems.

Different DVD drives have different tolerances for variation in the DVD itself. DVDs can be a little off due to damage to the disk or defects in the manufacturing process.

So in this case it just seems the old Mac's DVD drive had a little more tolerance than the new one.