Screen position for 2 monitors

I have 2 monitors and was running Vectorworks/Spotlight/Renderworks 8.5 and when I would open the program each time, it would remember the location of the items on the screen. (example: drawing and tools on the left monitor and pallettes on the right monitor)

I upgraded everything to 9.0 and now whenever I open Vectorworks, I have to reposition all of the pallets, as they are halfway between the 2 monitors

Does anybody have a fix for this?

Thanks

Lonnie

What operating system are you using?

One likely explanation is that VectorWorks is for some reason unable to write its preferences file. This might be because the preferences file is locked, or you don't have enough user priviledges, etc. (Under Windows, VectorWorks stores preferences not in a file but in the Windows registry, but the idea is the same.)

If this is indeed what's going on, it's reasonable to think that VectorWorks should be unable to save any of the preferences. Is that the case? Go to VectorWorks Preferences and change some of the preferences listed there. Maybe turn on the Black Background setting, or anything else that'll be obvious to you. Quit VectorWorks, and the launch it again. Is the preference you set still in effect?

Another possibility is that VectorWorks never gets a chance to save the preference information. This would only be the case if VectorWorks always terminates abnormally (force quit, crash, frequent blackouts, etc.).

Thank you for the info

I tried changing the preferences and it held

I am using Windows 98. Remember this worked fine with 8.5. Can it be something with 9.0?

Thanks

Lonnie

quote:

Originally posted by Caleb Strockbine:

What operating system are you using?

One likely explanation is that VectorWorks is for some reason unable to write its preferences file. This might be because the preferences file is locked, or you don't have enough user priviledges, etc. (Under Windows, VectorWorks stores preferences not in a file but in the Windows registry, but the idea is the same.)

If this is indeed what's going on, it's reasonable to think that VectorWorks should be unable to save any of the preferences. Is that the case? Go to VectorWorks Preferences and change some of the preferences listed there. Maybe turn on the Black Background setting, or anything else that'll be obvious to you. Quit VectorWorks, and the launch it again. Is the preference you set still in effect?

Another possibility is that VectorWorks never gets a chance to save the preference information. This would only be the case if VectorWorks always terminates abnormally (force quit, crash, frequent blackouts, etc.).

quote:

Originally posted by lalcaraz:

Can it be something with 9.0?

A bug in 9.0 is certainly a possibility, but if so it's one that I'm not aware of. I did just try to reproduce the situation with VectorWorks 9.0.1 on a Windows 98 machine with a single monitor, and the palette positions saved and restored themselves just fine. Since I only have one monitor on that machine it's not exactly the same situation so the possibility remains open.

I did just remind myself that palette positions are actually saved into the workspace file rather than the preferences. Sorry to have led you astray on that -- don't know what I was thinking. Can you make certain that the workspace file is writable? Can you edit it using the workspace editor and see your changes take effect?

If that fails, I'd recommend giving the guys in tech support a call on Monday morning. No matter what the cause, chances are pretty good that they'll already have encountered the same question from somebody else and be able to advise you better than I can. The number is 410-290-5114.

Hope that helps a bit.

Caleb Strockbine

Caleb

I tried editing a workspace and the changes stuck but it did not help the screen position. I will call technical support on Monday. Thanks for your help.

Lonnie

quote:

Originally posted by Caleb Strockbine:

A bug in 9.0 is certainly a possibility, but if so it's one that I'm not aware of. I did just try to reproduce the situation with VectorWorks 9.0.1 on a Windows 98 machine with a single monitor, and the palette positions saved and restored themselves just fine. Since I only have one monitor on that machine it's not exactly the same situation so the possibility remains open.

I did just remind myself that palette positions are actually saved into the workspace file rather than the preferences. Sorry to have led you astray on that -- don't know what I was thinking. Can you make certain that the workspace file is writable? Can you edit it using the workspace editor and see your changes take effect?

If that fails, I'd recommend giving the guys in tech support a call on Monday morning. No matter what the cause, chances are pretty good that they'll already have encountered the same question from somebody else and be able to advise you better than I can. The number is 410-290-5114.

Hope that helps a bit.

Caleb Strockbine

There is a bug in 9 with remembering palette positions on windows using dual monitors. If your palettes are on the secondary monitor the horizontal position is not remembered. One temporary fix is to change your small monitor's designation from secondary to primary. This does not mean you will use it as your main monitor, the software just thinks of it that way. Do this though the display properties dialog.

HTH,

------------------

Robert McBride

Software Engineer

Nemetschek N.A. Inc

mcbride@nemetschek.net

Thank you for the info

I will give it a try

Do you know if there is any hope of the problem being fixed any time soon?

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by McBrideNNA:

There is a bug in 9 with remembering palette positions on windows using dual monitors. If your palettes are on the secondary monitor the horizontal position is not remembered. One temporary fix is to change your small monitor's designation from secondary to primary. This does not mean you will use it as your main monitor, the software just thinks of it that way. Do this though the display properties dialog.

HTH,

On related topic - how can I get vw to remember document window size and position for a workspace that has 3x6 tool palettes on left side and side-by-side 2x6 tool palettes on the right side of screen ?

I'm using an Apple 15" Flat Panel LCD Studio Display at max. resolution.

Everytime I open up a document, the window is positioned as if I had a 2x6 palette on left and the same on right.

Workspace Editor prior to VW9 allowed user atleast the illusion of being able to set the document default size and location. Sure would be nice to have that back - even better would be to actually be able to create a mock layout for the palettes and document window...

Much Thanks-

------------------

Leslie Sigal Javorek

(president)

ELLIS JAY Inc.

Leslie

I am fighting a similar problem with 2 monitors and was informed by VW that it is a bug in 9.0 and they will hopefully fix it soon but putting pressure on them would be good. I have about 3 people with the same problem and we are bugging VW about it.

Thanks

Lonnie

quote:

Originally posted by Leslie:

On related topic - how can I get vw to remember document window size and position for a workspace that has 3x6 tool palettes on left side and side-by-side 2x6 tool palettes on the right side of screen ?

I'm using an Apple 15" Flat Panel LCD Studio Display at max. resolution.

Everytime I open up a document, the window is positioned as if I had a 2x6 palette on left and the same on right.

Workspace Editor prior to VW9 allowed user atleast the illusion of being able to set the document default size and location. Sure would be nice to have that back - even better would be to actually be able to create a mock layout for the palettes and document window...

Much Thanks-