Crashing

We've recently upgraded to VW 2010 from 2008 and it crashes often, a few times a day. Nothing in particular seems to trigger the crash, or any on specific file. 2008 rarely crashed. Is this a bug or are there others who have upgraded to 2010 from 2008 with this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

I am not seeing this with VW2010. It has been VERY stable for me. I can only think of one or maybe two other people who have reported similar problems.

Ray's checks above are a good start. If they don't solve the problem I would also dig out the DVD that came with you machine and run the Hardware Test.

In many cases a problem like this is bad memory. VW2008 just happens to not hit the bad memory and VW2010 does. A good (and free) memory tester is Rember (http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/) Set it up to test everything and let it go all night and see if it finds anything.

We've recently upgraded to VW 2010 from 2008 and it crashes often, a few times a day. Nothing in particular seems to trigger the crash, or any on specific file. 2008 rarely crashed. Is this a bug or are there others who have upgraded to 2010 from 2008 with this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

2010 does not support PowerPC machines.

It's Intel only.

Thanks,

Mike

2010 does not support PowerPC machines.

It's Intel only.

Says he's running Snow Leopard - so it's an Intel.

• Administrator

Let me take this opportunity to remind you to turn on the Error Reporting option from the Vectorworks preferences, this allows NNA engineering to see details of any crashes very quickly.

Tools>options>Vectorworks preferences>Session>Error reporting

thank you,

Juan Almansa

I'll try the repair permissions and see if that works, if not i'll have to find were the boss put the cd and run the hardware test. I believe the Error Reporting is on. So far it hasn't crashed today thankfully.

Just before we upgraded the software, we also purchased a newer iMac (with Intel), so it is no longer a G5 (i've changed my sig, thanks) and are running it on Snow Leopard.

Just to add my experience with VW2010. I too find it stable and generally well-behaved. I did however experience repeated crashes as follows: Whenever I would attempt to print 3 particular files that had been bulk converted from VW 2009... they crashed. Each and every time. I followed all the usual steps outlined earlier, ending a VW2010 reinstall, all to no avail. The printing crash was not reproducible in any other application or in new VW2010 files.

The only successful solution was to create a new document in VW2010 and copy data over layer by layer from the apparently corrupted VW2009 file. Reconstructing the many viewports was a pain. Fortunately it effected only 3 out of 30 files from this particular batch. I have no idea if the problem lurks with any other of my 1,000's of converted files. Time will tell.

Crash report was turned on and reports submitted.

Moehl, question: when you experience crashes are you using 2010 with files that were started in an earlier version, or are these newly created 2010 files?? Just curious...

Yeah, all our files are converted from 2008, so far we haven't had a new project to start in 2010. Yesterday the program didn't crash at all. I ran the repair permissions at the end of the day, which it seemed like it really needed, and it hasn't crashed yet today either.

We've had a few new glitches pop up since SP1, but nothing major enough to worry about yet, however they seem to appear first on my bosses computer and then a while later on mine. Maybe this is coincidence, too hard to tell.