3D Connexion and Vectorworks

Hello,

I know this has been discussed in other threads and elsewhere on the nets, but have found the information patchy and am unable find a definitive answer.

I will soon be upgrading to Vectorworks 2010 from V12 and also plan on getting a 3D Connexion device. It states on the 3D connexion website that the Space Explorer is certified for Vectorworks 2008 SP3, but have found conflicting reports as to whether the all buttons work.

What I would like to know if anyone has had success using all the function buttons on the 3D Connexion Space Explorer with Vectorworks in OS X?

If not I will go for the SpaceNavigator.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried my SpaceNavigator in Vw2010, and it's pretty much unusable (at least on Mac OSX 10.5.8).

When navigating in a 3d OpenGL view as recommended by Vw Help, everything on screen disappears until you stop moving the SpaceNavigator, then it takes 1-2 seconds to redraw. This is on a rather simple 3d model.

3d wireframe navigation is only slightly better in that everything stays on screen, but all of the objects 'strobe' or flash while you're moving.

My advice- don't bother with SpaceNavigator in Vw2010.

Regards,

Tim

I have used it successfully, but if navigating in OpenGL you need a beast graphics card to render as you move, something with at least a Gig or VRAM. If you're using a Mac I'd suggest EVGA GeForce GTX 285 at the MINIMUM, it will run you about $450 from the Apple Store. There are some better ones that will kick some serious butt in the $1,300-$1,800 range, but they might be overkill unless you're doing some seriously complex modeling.

Is it just me or is the the 3Dconnexion/Vectorworks implementation moving backwards?

3DxWare no longer recognizes when VW is open (ie: displays VW in the applications dropdown in 3DxWare Control Panel as it does with other certified applications... Google Earth, Photoshop, etc). This means I can't set specific settings for VW to use, only set global settings.

I don't understand how Vectorworks is certified with 3dconnexion. From their website...

http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/cert.php

Customer benefits of 3Dconnexion Certification

- Smooth navigation: no stuttering or jerky movement, no buffering

- Translation and rotation speeds are matched and fluid

- Applications behave as expected for the application class or genre

- Correct mapping of axes

- Smooth navigation in all supported model display modes

- Good performance with typical model sizes native for that application

- No crashes are caused by the use of 3D mice

And this post from one of their moderators...

http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10507#10507

Our requirement for certification is that the performance using a 3D mouse is better or as good as the normal mouse.

Two major versions of Vectorworks later and it still doesn't fit those requirements. Please either make it work or stop listing it as a supported feature of VW.

• 3 weeks later...

We experience the white out and strobe light thingy you describe, but we feel it doesn't ruin the party.

- dont write it off- its a great tool. I work with it all the time.

Switch to open GL and you can whiz about, exploring the building model!

I must admit theres lots of buttons which i dont touch as i dont know what they do. And with no-one to tell me what they do-its best i dont touch them!

I think you can programme the Space Pilot to mimick keyboard keys+commands.

All you need to know is that you can float effortlessly around your 3d model having fun and inspecting everything.

Whats not to like?

Edited by Abode Architects llp
  • 3 years later...