Detail Library

I'm fairly new to vectorworks - and entirely new to the forum - and I have a question about setting up Detail Libraries.

We currently have a few different files, but flipping between them to find specific details is a little irritating after a while - so I thought that I would create one drawing, with separate design layers for specific types of details (eg. a 1:5 scale design layer for plan details of columns, etc.)

So, a few questions. First off, is this a ridiculous way to go about building a detail library/is there a better and more common way? Like I said, I'm fairly new to Vectorworks, and this is the first Detail Library I've had to assemble.

Second question is when it comes to getting details into the Resource Browser, do they have to be Symbols?

Third is if they have to be symbols, is there an easy way to "decompose" them after they've been imported into the drawing?

All of the work we do is currently in a 2D workflow, and what I was planning is setting up the library to import standard details, which could then be further edited to take into account for various changes that need to be done.

We're using Vectorworks Architect 2008.

1. Making the details into symbols would be faster and more efficient.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. When you create the symbol, in the first dialog box click Options... In the next dialog box select "Convert to Group".

The symbol name will be colored blue in the Resource Browser. When you insert the symbol it will just be a group of objects. If there is only one object in the symbol then inserting the symbol just gives you the object, sans group.

Or you could just insert the symbol and then Modify>Convert>Convert to Group and you will get the same result.

hth

michaelk

Edited by michaelk