Circuiting Tool Help

MattG

I am new to a lot of the architect plug ins and trying to use the circuiting tool for a project. I have one panel I dropped in. For what we are doing I am wanting to run single circuits back to the breaker panel. I dropped in some receptacles and clicked the circuiting tool then selected one. I filled out the info for that receptacle. I then selected another one and I found myself ganging the circuits rather then illustrating individual runs.

Part of the problem is this is not what I am trained in, just trying to help illustrate something for someone and trying out some of the tools in vectorworks. What I want to end up with is a panel schedule or something showing what circuits are going back to the panel and possibly showing the runs for that with each circuit being individual.

Also what is the best way to show that we want 2 circuits in one quad box?

Another one as well we are looking to install a entertainment dimmer rack. It is a small wall mountable 24 circuit rack mount thing that I want to show where those circuits are running back to. What would be the best approach to illustrating that. What if I took a panel object and modified it to represent that rack. then I can apply the circuiting tool to the receptacles and show what circuits go to the breaker panel and what to the rack.

Does this sound kinda crazy?

Matt

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Matt,

Your request seems like a very cool and inventive way to utilize some of the tools in Vectorworks.

I've attached a file for you to review. The Circuiting Tool will do a "Home Run" which I think is what you're looking for. Keep in mind, it was designed primarily for residential needs so you may have to "trick" it into thinking you need a home run.

One method, using the Circuiting Tool is to select one of the recessed lights - it will ask you for some circuiting info like what position in the panel (Circuit #). If you double click again on the same fixture, it will ask you if you want this to be a home run.

There are a couple of other reports in there that might night be relevant...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Matt,

To place the home run back to the panel just click in empty space where you want the end of the marker to be placed.

If you want to show mutiple circuits to the same device just use the tool again. It will add a circuit.

You could use the tool to circuit a rack but I've never seen a drawing notated like this. Most of the drawings I've seen include a riser diagram and a schedule.

You wouls not be able to automatically do load calculations since the buss bars in a dimming rack don't line up the same way they would in a panel.