report by layer?

bonus

Create a database row and set the criteria to be the symbol you are interested in.

Set up columns with formulas of =L to give you the Layer, =S to get the symbol and =Count.

Select a row in the database and drag the SUM icon to first the Layer column and then a second SUM icon to the Symbol Column.

The Count column should now have the number of each symbol by layer.

If you don't like the order, drag the Sort (increasing/decreasing bar chart) icons to the columns you need.

I don't have time to do movies or screen shots, so I will try to do this textually.

Worksheets have two kinds of rows, Spreadsheet rows and Database rows. Spreadsheet rows work just like a normal spreadsheet program like Excel. You type in data and formulas and get a result.

Database rows report data on objects in the drawing. This can be either data intrinsic to the object (like the layer, class or pen color), or attached to a record associated with the object (including the Parameter Record of a plugin object).

To create a Database row, go to the row header (e.g. 4) and click and hold until you get the popup menu. Select Database. This will open the Criteria Dialog Box. If you need to change the criteria later, click and hold on the row header and select Edit Criteria.

Since you want the symbols, I will assume that you want all of the symbols. Set the criteria to Type is Symbol and click OK. You should now have one sub-row for each symbol in the drawing (e.g. 4.1, 4.2 ... 4.109, etc.)

Select Cell A4 and put in a formula of =L. This will show the layer that symbol is on.

Select Cell B4 and put in a formula of =S. This will show the Name of the symbol.

Select Cell C4 and put in a formula of =count. This will show the number of items in the row. It should be 1 for every row to start with.

Select any row in the database (header row or sub-row). You will see the icons above column A become selectable. They look like increaseing and decreasing bar charts and the other one says SUM.

Drag the SUM icon to anywhere in Column A. This will summerize all of the data by the layer it is on. You should see a decrease in the number of sub-rows to the number of layers you have symbols on. Drag a second SUM icon to anywhere in column B. This should expand you selection out so that you now have a sub-row for each type of symbol on each layer. If a certain symbol does not exist on a layer, there will be no sub-row for it.

The order of the sub-rows may seem random. Use the Sort icons (the bar charts) to put it into the order you want. Just like the SUM icon, select one or more rows in the database and drag the icon to the column you want to sort on. You can sort on up to three columns at a time. If you want to sort first by Symbol then drag the first icon to Column B and then a second one to Column A. If you want to sort by Layer first then Drag to Column A then B.

This should get you the count for each symbol that exists on each layer sorted in the order you want.

Let me know what other questions you have.

I've finally managed to set the criteria for a row...but the next step?

How do I set uo columns with formulas?

The Create Report command is the easiest way to learn the formula syntax. In fact, to generate the formulae altogether, since the syntax is just a tad user-unfriendly:

='Record Format'.'Field Name'

Copy/paste fortunately works.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi again Pat.

I just picked up where I left last time - been busy with other projects. Now I need to get these things working and your help has been fantastic. Thank you!

Now I need to know how to delete symbols I don't want in the report from the worksheet. I've tried without success.

I agree with Wes (and Kool Aid in the other thread). You need to have some criteria to differentiate the objects.

The easiest way to do this is probably to use classes, but if you are using classes for something else you could create a custom record format and attach it to the objects you want to show.

For classes edit the criteria and add an additional criteria of Class IS XXXX

For custom record format edit the criteria and add an additional criteria of Record MyCustomRecord (or whatever you name it) is Present.

This should then limit your list to only those objects that meet the criteria.

I don't know of a way to automatically recalculate the worksheet.