Worksheet Set up

Hi all,

I am currently working on a project and trying to learn VW. What I am having problems figuring out is how to create a worksheet that will report all the instances of a given symbol. I have several drawings, each in there own sheet layor viewport, of stock flats and I want to report of all the corner blocks and keystones symbols used. These items are symbols.

I get that it involves creating a worksheet, but following the information in the manual isn't producing the results I would expect. I am getting a database that shows all of the symbols in the file.

At this point I would settle for a total count for each instance of the symbols, but if I could get a count of each instance sorted via each sheet layor viewport, thus getting a cut list, that would be grand.

Any help or pointing in the direction of help files would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Rob Jensen (go eazy on my I am a AutoCAD user making the switch to VW :blush: )

I don't think you can get you second request, at least not easily.

For the first one try:

Create a worksheet with a database row criteria of Type is Symbol.

Set the formula of the first column to =S this will give you the name of each symbol.

Set the formula of the second column to =Count this will give you the number of objects in each row.

Select a row in the database and then drag the SUM tile from the top of the worksheet to the Column A Header. This will summerise based on the symbol name and get you to total number of that type of symbol.

When you say each drawing is in a SLVP, what do you mean? Did you draw each in the VP or did you draw them on the Design Layers and then make viewports of them?

I don't think you can get you second request, at least not easily...

When you say each drawing is in a SLVP, what do you mean? Did you draw each in the VP or did you draw them on the Design Layers and then make viewports of them?

Pat,

Thanks for the help I did get the totals to work. As to your last question. Each flat is drawing on the Design Layer and then yes I made viewports on the sheet layer that shows them.

Rob

If they start on individual design layers, you should be able to add a column to the worksheet with a formula of =L to get the layer name.

Then you should be able to SUM based first of Layer and second (or the other way around) on Symbol name and get what you want.

Or you could duplicate the database row and edit the criteria so that it only shows the objects on a single layer.

I just don't know a way to get a worksheet to show only the objects that are visible inside a given viewport. Although that does seem like a good Wish to enter.

I just don't know a way to get a worksheet to show only the objects that are visible inside a given viewport. Although that does seem like a good Wish to enter.

An excellent wish! Thus, it shall never be granted.

Although Mr. NNA could perhaps build such functionality on the extremely useful and indispensable LOC -criterion. The Crop is a LOCation, after all.

(LOC: if a ?shape? object (poly, rectangle, circle etc.) has a Name, a worksheet can query objects that are inside it. Say, one's rooms are named polygons: their inventories can be reported.)

I was just playing with this and guess what? If you give your crop object a name, then you can use the LOC command with that name and get the proper results. Or at least close.

In my test it gave me every object that was at least partially inside the crop. Just takes not more small step

Again a good reason to add RunScript capability to worksheets. Then you could automatically assign the crop object a name like (Viewport-1 Crop Object) and know it would be available.

Well, well. Interesting?

Since a VP must technically be an Object, a Crop should be able to be made to automatically inherit a (derived) name. I think I'd prefer a reverse logic, though: eg. the first or last argument in the name string omitted (for the sake of report clarity & international applicability.)

Meanwhile, this does open possibilities in the form of vectorworksarounds via scripting. Thou bringest good tidings indeed!

• 4 years later...

This is somewhat related to this thread...

When most of us are talking about creating a VP of the worksheet, it's not a magical feature where you setup a viewport only to show the worksheet content and manage the worksheet display from that viewport as you wish right? I mean, when someone says "create a VP of the worksheet", I imagine drawing a rectangle around the worksheet on the design layer and putting that VP in the sheet layer... It's just seemed like I'm doing something crude and that there is a more intelligent way of doing this that I don't know, so please let me know if such a way exists. And the purpose of writing this message is to find out if such a way exists (e.g; I put a referenced drawing in one of my files and show that as the source of my viewport... is this possible with worksheets as well?)

Thank you.