2010 pdf export issues

hungerf9

Question

I've had problems with pdf's exported from Vectorworks 2010 on my Mac: other Mac users can access them fine, but pc users are unable to view the files (and the files have, in fact, caused a couple of crashes).

In order to be able to plot a drawing at Kinko's, I had to save the pdf as a .ps file and reconvert it using Preview in OS X. The pdf that originated from Vectorworks would not open on their machine.

Is this a known bug?

10 answers to this question

@CipesDesign I have not tried printing to pdf, as that would have required some tedious paper size management in printing options that I didn't have time for when I needed to get my drawing as hard copy.

In general, I far prefer the batch export to pdf tool's functionality to printing to pdf. It would be a shame if it produces files that are unreadable by PCs.

Until the Kinkos staff was unable to open the file, I had assumed that the trouble that the other PC user had experienced was an isolated incident.

@Ray Libby I don't know what version of Acrobat was being used in either case. I assume that Kinkos-- sorry, FedExOffice-- has the most recent version available. This assumption may well be false.

@ray

there is no reason why VW should be producing PDF's

that are readable by only the latest version of acrobat,

there is nothing "clever" in a VW PDF file requiring only

the latest versions. it's like the usual nonsense about

constantly updating the graphics drivers, while insisting

on staying with an obsolete quicktime version...

@monkey

this all depends on the particular sheet being printed.

sometimes 'export' is really fast + small, sometimes

many times larger than a 'print'

if size is an issue you should try both ways.

'export' is nice because it doesn't mess with

the 'paper size' + title blocks don't wander,

but it also screws up some non-standard fonts,

in my case rotis gets all jaggy, arial is fine...

For what it's worth, today I confirmed that the pdf's were failing to open in the latest version of Acrobat. I also tried printing to pdf and those also failed to open on the recipient's PC.

I'm going to try the pdf->ps->pdf trick that worked for me at Kinko's, but having to go through all that trouble to produce a PC readable file is more than a little ridiculous.

Granted, I haven't yet installed 2010 SP1, so maybe that will fix things(?).

I've had problems with pdf's exported from Vectorworks 2010 on my Mac: other Mac users can access them fine, but pc users are unable to view the files (and the files have, in fact, caused a couple of crashes).

In order to be able to plot a drawing at Kinko's, I had to save the pdf as a .ps file and reconvert it using Preview in OS X. The pdf that originated from Vectorworks would not open on their machine.

Is this a known bug?

have you called NNA tech support?