bad files translated from 8.5.2 to 9.0.x

Apparently slowdowns that come in VW9 as tested by myself are "translation" problems (extreme slowdown when exiting symbols for instance).

If I cannot Migrate our files successfully from 8.5.2 to 9.0.1 I cannot use VW9. We have many projects in many stages of design, some of which will not be complete for several years. The hundreds of sheets of dwgs that are being edited every day apparently have no use for an upgrade.

The only way that I can verify that VW9 works for us is to test a set of "real" files with all the complexity and nuance of the way that our office works...where do I get one of those, created natively in VW9?? Obviously the only way to get such a file is to translate it from VW8... which decidedly does not work.

It may seem like a short term problem that will eventually pass, therefore not deserving of attention, but that is a mistake. In a large architectural practice moving to new software (including a new version) that is not seemlessly translatable (backwards and forwards) is extremely difficult due to the staggering of projects, and if/when we do it likely won't be Vectorworks.

Steve Keyser

Associate Principal

Koetter, Kim & Associates

quote:

Originally posted by skeyser:

Apparently slowdowns that come in VW9 as tested by myself are "translation" problems (extreme slowdown when exiting symbols for instance).

Steve,

Could you send me one of your VW 8 files that exhibits this slowness?

Thanks,

Jeff Geraci

jgeraci@nemetschek.net

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Geraci:

Steve,

Could you send me one of your VW 8 files that exhibits this slowness?

Thanks,

Jeff Geraci

jgeraci@nemetschek.net

What is it with the VW people? Can't they accept the fact that they have a lemon? Legacy issues are very important to practices with have numerous files and the need to access them THROUGH time seemlessly. The 9 upgrade has created a huge chasm and it is apparently unpassable for many practictioners. Although they may have some long term strategy for their products.. the near term strategy has been a complete failure, because many users are having serious problems in transitioning to the upgrade. Many have reverted back to 8.52 (this writer among them.

Waiting and watching

jef