Drawing Disappears When Zooming

I have been playing around with VW2010 and am confused by something that is happening when I zoom. I created 3 boxes - two with the class none and one with the class none-2. I am viewing them in left isometric view and whenever I zoom into them they disappear. Ive attached a three screen grabs. The first image shows what I see once I have zoomed into a certain point and the second image shows what is on screen when I move on click further in on my scroll wheel (the objects have disappeared) and the third image shows what happens when I zoom to a different part of the screen (a different objects disappear)! I have also attached the file that I have been working on just in case. I thought it might be an issue to do with the size of the objects to have scaled them up x10 but they disappear at the same point? I haven't had to use VW2010 for any heavy drawing sessions yet but this will be a nightmare to try to work with. Has anyone else found the same thing.

I've come across this as well, both in vw2008 and vw2010. I'm thinking it is a resolution setting. Sometimes when zoomed out a bit, lines and objects don't look like they line up properly, but when zooming way in, they actually do. It can be annoying at first but if you are careful about your snapping, you'll eventually learn to trust the program. The snapping in vw2010 is much better than vw2008.

hi whocando,

Yes - thats exactly what I have found, you can zoom so far and then objects start to disappear? Have only found this with one drawing so far, one that I created from scratch in 2010 but if it happened on a drawing that I had put a lot of work into then it would be a bit of a nightmare! Anyone from Nemetschek got any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue,

this may not be your problem but it worked for me. i am using a logitec nano mouse that has a scroll wheel that if you press it down you can change it to freewheel or step mode. when it was in freewheel and i zoomed in or out the drawing would be all over the place. bits would dissapear, zooming into a line i would end up with a inch thick pixelated stripe across my monitor. thought it was my graphics card that couldnt handle vector works. worth checking:)

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar issue with graphics disappearing, too.

I'm currently running Landmark on a new Mac (MBP 15" 2.8 Ghz 4G ram). The problem I'm having is when I start to put plants on the plan and then zoom in or out the graphics disappear...However, when you drag the cursor over the plants the outline shows, but nothing else. The plant images don't reappear until you zoom out or in, and even that doesn't always work right away.

It's beginning to become very frustrating, especially with larger drawings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,

Alright, I believe that I've found a solution for anybody that has this problem.

Here's the root: (within the program)

Vectorworks-

Preferences-

Interactive tab- deselect: Cursor pre-selection highlighting

This has completely solved the problem on my end, which makes me extremely happy!

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have this problem too and it's been driving me mad - the lines themselves disappear, but you can still snap to them, so you end up hoping you're snapping to the right line, or zooming out further til you can see it and still hoping you're snapping to the right line. I really like the highighting before you select it feature so I don't want to turn this off, Nemetschek, is there really no other way?!

• 1 month later...

Yep, as well as v. slow refreshes on the screen on VW2010, I've just installed this and tried it out (imac 27" i7, 512mb graphics ram) and I've noticed the same thing. I had problems with the zoom refresh on VW2009 on my MBP and now this on a powerful quad core imac for VW2010.

Why are 2009 and 2010 so much worse for laggy zooming than 2008? I cannot believe how laggy the zoom is on 2010 on a machine as powerful as an i7 with a decent graphics card. What is it with this awful second delay for the image to 'ping' back into focus? Why would I want that?

If this is progress, count me out. But no doubt I'm just unlucky?

Alright, I believe that I've found a solution for anybody that has this problem.

Here's the root: (within the program)

Vectorworks-

Preferences-

Interactive tab- deselect: Cursor pre-selection highlighting

This has completely solved the problem on my end, which makes me extremely happy!

Hope this helps.

I guess that's the same (or similar) to what I concluded.....so it must be a bug....... http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=27947&Number=136396#Post136396

Edited by Vincent C
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the help with this. I have tried your solution ecomike but Im afraid that Im still having the same problem. Objects are disappearing when I zoom, leaving me no snaps and no ability to select the object. They even disappear when I have them selected. Its driving me mad! The only thing that I have found that works is turning off everything in apart from selection highlighting in . . .

Preferences - Interactive - Highlighting

Ill report it as a bug . . .

something similar happend to me... it was my class setting. i had my active class set to invisable. But because i used it as my active class every object was created with that class and because it was active it was visible but with zooming it went mad until i found out. Bthw i think it was caused by this strange "activate class" command with some mis keybord so i didn't realise...

just a guess!

I had & have this same issue - I could not zoom in too close or else all the lines disappeared...maddening... I talked with a

VecW Tech person

- I was using a 2009 .template file that was up-converted to 2010 when i started a new drawing - we determine that it was some-kind of upgrade bug. The fix - copy paste the elements from the problem file to a new 2010 drawing and the problem went away in the new file.

• 1 month later...

A couple of people here are facing the same issue. When they zoom in all the way, lines suddenly disappear, and when the zoom out they reappear.

I have students working on SP1, 2 and 3, and they all experience this problem in varying degrees. Have tried the solutions suggested above, and none of them work for us.

So far only Mac users have reported this fault. Any other ideas/hints will be grateful.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I have managed to find a way to resolve the issues that I was originally having with drawings disappearing when I zoomed. I contacted my VW distributor here in the UK and was informed that the issues I was experiencing were possibly due to my graphics card not being compatible. Im not sure how many people who have posted or read this have the same graphics card as me but it would be worth reading the section under Additional Details on this page which highlights some issues with several cards and the latest couple of releases of VW . . .

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/711/Vectorworks+2010+System+Recommendations.

I have now replaced my old card which was a an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 and replaced it for an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. This has cleared up a the vast majority of the problems I was having but not all of them. Objects no longer disappear when I zoom into them, quartz imaging now works fine (previously having it on would crash my machine), and overall VW seems a lot more stable. However I am still noticing that when I go in to edit a solid addition or subtraction the selection handles do not appear in the right place on some objects but this could be a separate issue? Hope this helps a few people . . .

People on VW 2010 can also try following fix. There is an issue related to dash styles which might cause the problems described, unregarded the graphic card.

* open the dash styles list in the Attributes palette.

* rename all dash styles.

The lines should re-appear.

orso

re: changing the graphics card - hilarious idea! i think i'll just change cad packages. I've struggled for too long with vw - always being told it never crashes - must be my computer. Well, my mac, my imac, 10 macs in the first office i worked in, 15 offices in the second office i worked in and all the macs of my mates at uni must be dodgy as they all crash running vw2008+. i think there's a point whereby you have to logically conclude that the hardware isn't the issue here.

time to break out the bootcamp and start playing with some of the win packages I think, there's only so many bugs anyone should expect to put up with.