Need Help - texture

Can anyone tell me how to generate a texture that gives the properties of a translucent solid color ? .... that is ... something like frosted glass where some light will come through, and the object itself will appear bright (as compared to regular glass where all the light goes thru and the object doesn't "shine" or appear bright. (is there a standard texture like this in VW 2009 resources ?)

Thanks .....

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's a pic and the VW file that made it - does this get you anything - these are all just "stock" VW textures that were edited right here in VW.

I'm sure others who have true rendering ability will have many more suggestions

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can try a combination of a Translucent Plastic reflectivity shader which will lit up when a light is behind it, and a Plain Transparency shader which will let you see through it. The Transmission parameters of the Plain Transparency shader will control the blending between the two effects.

In 2010 there is a new Blur parameter for the Glass, Simple reflectivity shader that will produce a frosted glass appearance.

It's not so hard to make you're own, create a new texture with a plain color (I'm guessing you don't want color so choose white, you can fiddle with this later if you have to) then give this texture a reflectivity, say matte if you don't want reflectivity (this gives you control over ambient and diffuse which gives the brightness effect you're after, ('constant' gives the texture max 'brightness' however no adjustment possibilities)) then give the texture transparancy ie, plain (this gives you control over how much light is transmitted or how frosty it appears)

Hope this helps.............luck.

Edited by Vincent C