CONTROLLING RENDERING LOCATION

JSiegel

To all,

I am presently working in a design layer with a camera dropped in. From the OIP, I select "Display Camera View" at which point the rendering appears at some arbitrary point on the design layer that I am in.

There has got to be a better way to do this. Please pass along a best practice for directing a rendering to a specific location.

Additionally, when exporting the rendered image should I be using the "marquee" option from the "export area" screen??This seems rather imprecise/inefficient.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Ray,

Please take me thru that process as the "Saved view" that appears includes what is visible on my design layer sheet. Should I simply zoom in on the rendered image in the design layer & create that as the "Saved View". Ideally I want to link the rendered camera view with the saved view... where do I create that link?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I adjust the bounding box and the zoom to what I want, then save the view, checking Save View Orientation, Save Zoom and Pan, and Save Page Location. When you are in Top/Plan mode that saved view will return you to the camera view. I don't see other objects on the design layer besides the camera view, not sure about that.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try aiming the camera in top view, grabbing the handles with the 2D selection tool to aim the from and to locations, and grabbing and moving the camera around.

Make sure the camera height parameter in the OIP shape pane is set to the right height so you can see the model.

You can use the fine tune camera view button to tweak the view, and/or turn on the auto update 3D view checkbox in the OIP shape pane to adjust it with the OIP controls. A lot of times I double-click the camera to set the view to the camera's view, and then do fit to objects to get the pan and zoom centered in the window.

There is currently no way to link the camera, saved view, and viewports together. That is a known wish.

Dave,

Setting the appropriate camera view is not an issue. I am using the camera in Top/Plan view not Top view. Not sure what you mean by, "A lot of times I double-click the camera to set the view to the camera's view."

When I double-click the camera it generates the view at a remote location on the design layer that I am in. When I select my "Saved View" it generates the correct camera view without a problem. However, I can zoom in & out & select objects within the rendered image. Is their a way to make the the "Saved View" a static image?

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
How do you make a viewport from a camera view?
Set the camera view, render as required and then choose Create Viewport on the View menu.

Does it update if you change the camera view?
No. If you change the camera view you will then need to create a new Viewport and replace the previous one with it.

Having the Viewport and Camera linked would be very useful - you should Wish List it.