What happened to round wall caps?

Well I think it a bit shortsighted. Not every drawing I create is 2d/3d and the wall tool has been known to be used for purposes other than, well... walls. One of my projects requires an elevation of an historic facade with fluted columns that were a snap with the rounded wall cap. It know becomes a multi-step process using a polygon or creating an approximation with the rounded rectangle tool. Bummer.

I have gotten confirmation from NNA that the Round Wall Caps were removed on purpose as they were 2D only and removing this option made Wall Sculpting and other changes to the Wall object much easier.

I see NNA looks at the "glass half empty". So instead of making a 3D round wall cap they decide to be negative and remove that feature totally. Also I don't see how that feature would have made wall sculpting more difficult.

This is the same thing they did to "hardware acceleration". They approached the issue negatively and removed it totally.

I don't like negative people.

The future benefits outweigh the present uses. With advances of all kind, old capabilities give way to new capabilities.

If one likes, one could use the other applications available and quickly discover none of them have round Wall Caps as well as the walls can not be used for 2d graphics, which has been pointed out were only 2d. With some creativity and a little invention the present 2d tools suffice for those that need only 2d graphic objects.

V-G there is a simple way of rounding a rectangles ends using the fillet tool.

After setting the Fillet tool mode and required radius double click near the centre of one of the sides of the rectangle. This will apply that fillet to all vertices of the rectangle.

This also works on any polygon shape applying that fillet to all vertices of the object.

The round wall caps were 2d only, so in a 3d environment they didn't exist.

Well I am not talking about 3D. We use them for the ends of handrails in 2D. Losing a feature doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.

V-G

Good point ? thanks! I have to borrow a feature from my Buffer Zone tool into my Double Line tool. The buffer can have round ends already, but it does not have the offset feature of the double line.

handrailorsomething.png

I am not so sure Stan,

Do you know how many people use a round wall cap?

The 2D wall with dotted cavity is a standard in my industry and so small changes can make a big impact on some industries.

As has been pointed out if you need 2d graphics with a rounded end there are methods for this depiction with the tools presently available in Vectorworks.

For walls to become walls that have the potential to be represented the same in 2d and 3d changes had to be made. Issues of legacy tools and features are faced and decided upon with every considered advancement. If alternates exist that perform the same function with other available tools then the elimination from a tool or feature to allow its advancement is considered and implemented.

Would be interested to see a graphic of the use you mention as many might offer other means and methods to achieve the same.

Personally, I have never seen a singular wall with a round cap constructed as a common practice in my varied travels. Have seen plenty of other rounded or fluted constructs but not at the end of a singular wall.

• 8 months later...

Could aomeone tell me how to do that ...? i tried for an hour now but no success with "create wall projection..." the 2D element gets allways "sucked" into the wall and i cannot figure out how to place it at the end of a wall!! what am i missing?

Thanks!

Could aomeone tell me how to do that ...? i tried for an hour now but no success with "create wall projection..." the 2D element gets allways "sucked" into the wall and i cannot figure out how to place it at the end of a wall!! what am i missing?

Thanks!

The wall projection cannot extend the length of the wall and so pulls your 2d polygon so that it doesn't extend further than your wall length.

You could create a wall recess to trim away the unwanted portion of the wall to get your desired rounded end - problem however is that a 1mm thick 3d

'wall cap' remains where the wall ended. Time for SP 5?