Foundation Best Practice - And Adding Rebar?

Linicks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One path, multiple profiles.

hth

michaelk

Ok,

I created what I consider a single path with the line tool, and two profiles with the circle tool. Unfortunately, I'm still having a hard time when trying to extrude along the path I created. I have tried to compose the lines etc, but haven't had any luck. When I test this method on a single segment of the footings it works fine. I'm not sure what step(s) I'm missing? Here is an image of my path, footings, and profile objects.

I think you will have to break the foundation up into segments and do them separately. Maybe three pieces. Make the "outline" one extrude, then do the El on the right and then the vertical and horizontal on the left as separate pieces.

Remember it is extrude along PATH. How would you draw that shape without picking up a pencil or crossing over itself. If you can't then you can't extrude along it either.

My two sense on the Foundation / Footing

I would create a separate layer for the foundations, (ie. Unit A-Mod-slab 1), I use walls to create the foundation and walls to create the footings so 16" walls for ftgs and 8" concrete walls for foundations. When detailing I place in rebar as an annotation. You could then use a spread sheet and perform a simple calculation for how much rebar you need based on / ln ft of the footing and foundation which are wall objects and have linear measurements which can be extrapolated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wes Gardner

Here's a quick pic of an example file where the rebar is modeled using Extrude Along Path, a section is cut showing the location of the bar and a worksheet is created indicating the length of the bar.

• 1 month later...

As a someone who is demoing Vectorworks I found this post a little disturbing. Who would want to model rebar? Engineers thats who. Aren't their any engineers who use Vectorworks? There are many reasons for having the ability to model Reinforcing. Although I agree that modeling every piece of Rebar in a concrete building would be overkill, as most of the reinforcement is cover by typical details, but there are instance where specific details need to be generated in order to cover specific connections. In these areas and it would be beneficial to model rebar to check congestions and see how things are fitting together. Boundry zones is corewalls, corewall to drilled pier connections, and mat footings where you have large bars bends, are just a few that come to mind. I also find it odd that vectorworks has a simple beam calculator, the ability to show a pan head screw complete with threads, but no reinforcing.

Dear sirs,

I respectfully submit that I don't believe we've ever made a claim to be a fully-featured engineering/analysis package. However, we are a very flexible 2D and 3D DESIGN package. We have provided CADD and 3D modeling functionality to all kinds of users including theater lighting design, industrial design, architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, custom furniture and casework designers and fabricators, mechanical designers, etc. Vectorworks is an open system allowing users the flexibility to take documentation, visualization, and modeling of their ideas pretty far.

For more specific civil/structural engineering needs, please consider our Nemetschek family partner, Scia , a fully-functionally and highly-regarded analysis, modeling, and documentation suite. We've recently established an encouragingly strong exchange of model data (VW -> Scia) using IFC in v2010 SP2.

VW structural engineering users can create highly detailed BIMs by leveraging 3D modeling tools with the "IFC Data..." command and export IFC models to applications more suited to complex FEA and detailing, if needed.

VW structural engineering users can create highly detailed BIMs by leveraging 3D modeling tools with the "IFC Data..." command and export IFC models to applications more suited to complex FEA and detailing, if needed.

Is that the std line from the Politburo?...Its obvious to me you dont Know **** about what VW Structural engineering users want?

And to even suggest creating a highly detailed model and then exporting to scia-FEA Via IFC for analysis is rubbish and a waste of resources.What is needed in VW are tools which enhanced approximate techniques for analysis,data checking and design optimization.

Its generally too late when you have wasted everybodies time Modelling the whole **** up,and then someone else tells your clients "You got it wrong,Dude, you have been ArchiConned".You need to learn that clients dont want to pay for your short comings and expensive family support? HTH

I think it's a matter of creating documentation and checking your design, which it seems Vectorworks looks to be good at. I did't expect Vectorworks to be a full blown FEM program.

Most Analysis packages out there are very poor at creating documentation Plans, details, and sections for drawings, which is where Vectorworks should step in.

Also despite what software developers think most analysis (at least in our office) in never done in just one package or is even done, Yes, by hand. So seeing how all these pieces fit together is where you would turn to Vectorworks.

It just seems odd to me Vectoworks has a tool for being able to model every bolt in 3D in a building but there is no tool for putting in rebar. With the amount of views this thread has is should tell the people at Nemetschek that users of Vectorworks are interested in how to model rebar.

Edited by djnelson75