3d polygons

I'm a little mystified about 3d polygons. When creating them, you are invited to enter their loci in 3D: you can enter the i, j, and k values. But they are always planar, on the current working plane, as far as I can tell. Is VW just ignoring one field? When I read the description, it appears that their difference with 2d polygons is that they can be rotated, etc.

I would like to detail complicated piping runs, which make twists and turns through 3-space. Is there any tool/trick that will help me do that?

Keith

I just tried it in VW2009 and it does take the IJK values. You have to enter the value and then press the Enter key to for the value to take.

Unfortunately, they are ∆IJK values, meaning that it is the change from the last point, not a absolute.

In VW2010, you get XYZ values that you can enter directly.

The other two possibilities are snapping to other 3D objects that are already in the drawing and using the 3D Reshape tool after you have the basic shape put in place.

And yes this does work for 3D piping/tubing. I do it quite often.

Ah, the bent wire tutorial was very helpful. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I definitely have some clue how the vertex editor section for path objects in the OIP work.

However, I still don't understand one thing: If I start creating a 3D polygon, and enter all the values manually using non-planar values, I somehow end up with a projection of the specified object onto the working plane. Do I have something turned off, or otherwise limited? Seems very clear that if you enter i,j,k values in as vertices, I should get a non-planar shape... I do note that the manual says it creates polygons "without height", in which case I don't really understand what the i,j,k entry process is for...

I'd actually really like the "change from the last point" approach, but that's not what I'm getting.

Keith

However, I still don't understand one thing: If I start creating a 3D polygon, and enter all the values manually using non-planar values, I somehow end up with a projection of the specified object onto the working plane. Do I have something turned off, or otherwise limited? Seems very clear that if you enter i,j,k values in as vertices, I should get a non-planar shape... I do note that the manual says it creates polygons "without height", in which case I don't really understand what the i,j,k entry process is for...

I'd actually really like the "change from the last point" approach, but that's not what I'm getting.

I posted another movie showing what I am getting in VW2009. Take a look and see if it works for you.

3D Poly Movie