Wanting since I began in 1999

Thom

Question

15 answers to this question

Jeffery

A quick search will bring you up to speed on the history of this request. I know of more than one firm that will not consider VWL until there is a valid irrigation module. Especially in this time of water conservation.

However, look at these links to see what "real" irrigation software looks like.

http://www.sciencehill.net/

http://www.softwarerepublic.com/irrigationsoftware/

http://www.watermark-id.com/

http://www.eaglepoint.com/solutions/workflow/office/landscape/

http://www.wcadi.org/

What VWL presently has is a system of symbols. For irrigation design, we need the intelligence that will allow for pipe sizing routines, hydraulics, valve sizing, coverage analysis, etc.

When you look at the above programs, you will see a common theme with the offerings.

Edited by Thom

The issue here is whether or not VW will be pursuing this issue within the next five years. Matt at Panzercad was going to work on this until VW stated they were pursuing the module. Then they dropped the ball.

Jeffery - I understand that as an architect you may have the same attitude as Robert (at least, used to) that irrigation design is not an important part of landscape design, but perhaps you should take a poll of us who use Landmark. I believe that you will find a major portion of us want irrigation or believe it is important.

Daresay, irrigation is not a key question: there are plenty of countries where that is not an issue at all. Then again, in other countries it is of huge importance ? but in those countries (eg. Australia), the landscape architect should minimise the waste of water and provide design solutions that don't require irrigation.

In the United States, irrigation is a key design component of almost any landscaping project. A well planned/designed irrigation system will save allot of water and improve the end results of the project. This functionality would be a nice productivity enhancement, and is a logical addition the the landscaping tools for US based Vectorworks users, and possibly others around the world.

In the United States, irrigation is a key design component of almost any landscaping project. A well planned/designed irrigation system will save allot of water and improve the end results of the project. This functionality would be a nice productivity enhancement, and is a logical addition the the landscaping tools for US based Vectorworks users, and possibly others around the world.

Possibly. The US is a rather tiny market for VW. The industry practices there are not necessarily applicable elsewhere. Yet, you want the majority of VW users to subsidise you.

Why irrigate in the first place? If you need to conserve water, you simply don't.

In many places, especially in urban areas, plant material will not grow without some supplemental irrigation (including native plants). The environmental & sociological benefits of having shade & green areas (i.e. asphalt cooling, wind control & carbon dioxide absorption, etc.)out-weight the cost of using water.

Also, sports fields would not survive and would be dust bowls.

Edited by Thom

The US is a rather tiny market for VW.

I'm not sure what the current user statistics are, but I would like to know. Where did you get the data for your market analysis of VW?

The industry practices there are not necessarily applicable elsewhere.

It would be hard to imagine that the US is the only place in the world that regularly uses irrigation systems. I know that irrigation has been important for centuries. The Romans were masters of irrigation, and some of their centuries old systems are still in use today. Irrigation is a fact of life for many around the world, and it's naive to down play it's role around the world. I'm sure NNA recognizes this, and is working with professional landscapers/landscape designers from various regions to better meet the needs of their users. Which is what this request is about in the first place.

Yet, you want the majority of VW users to subsidise you.

That's a little presumptuous. This was not a feature request that I was making directly, but I was providing additional information regarding my experience in the US. Additionally, the needs of US users of VW are just as important as the next persons. If anything, a minority user would be subsidizing the majority, because they are spending money, but aren't getting herd when they have a need that isn't being filled.

Why irrigate in the first place? If you need to conserve water, you simply don't.

Because people want and need to. If you don't want to irrigate, than don't.

Edited by Linicks

Right, OK, OK. There just are countries where irrigation is not particularly common or needed and then countries where it cannot be used because of water restrictions even if you have it. What people ?want? is in the latter case rather irrelevant.

But I have to confess that largely my scepticism is based on experience: NNA has been phenomenally successful in creating ?industry solutions? that are totally useless outside the U.S. of A. The core technology they tend to get at least almost right, but most the tools (?Integrated Products?) in at least Architect and Landmark simply cannot be used eg. here in the North Pole.

What these tools produce cannot be used in contract documentation, not to mention the actual design process. Anything bigger or more complicated than a house and a house lot is simply beyond their capabilities.

The NNA integrated business model is, however, such that the majority of users are forced to buy the useless stuff just to get the useful core technologies.

Ahh, no: not really. It just turns out that the North Pole is a rather big area as comes to usefulness of ?integrated products?. Occasionally I want to refer to the 78% of users who live in North Pole instead of U.S. of A. In fact, even some citizens of USA feel to be living in my region.

Actually, if VW were to say that the US market is the only place irrigation is used and the market is too small, therefore they (VW) will not be developing an irrigation model for at least 5 years, then I would explore the subsidizing of one of our talent 3rd party developers to develop or develop a method of porting one of the existing products to VW.

Of course, I would need to offer the product to US users at a 50% discount.