Full render engine in VW viewer

bonus

Question

A full version of the render engine in VWviewer 2009 would allow us to render a copy of a file while continuing working on the original file on the same computer.

Now VW is blocked during rendering.

This can be done by exporting a copy to 2008 and render it in that version, but with VWviewer I imagine it would be simpler.

14 answers to this question

I think Mr./Ms./Miss bonus gives us a way too bleak picture of the situation.

One can have (at least) two copies of VW running concurrently: one for rendering, one for working. You only have to (and should) duplicate the actual application inside the VW folder.

Use one, render with the other one.

Like this:

renderfarm.png

Hunky dory.

[sarcasm] Do they? If, why would it be possible for me to run (at least) two ?copies? of VW simultaneously & concurrently on one machine, with one licence?

[/sarcasm]

What I described above is, I believe, a little known fact, but a fact nevertheless.

Now, in my line(s) of work, the Hardware mainly sits and waits for the 50+ year old Wetware to instruct the Software. There's plenty of time for the Other VW/RW to do it's magic.

I think Mr./Ms./Miss bonus gives us a way too bleak picture of the situation.

One can have (at least) two copies of VW running concurrently: one for rendering, one for working. You only have to (and should) duplicate the actual application inside the VW folder.

Use one, render with the other one.

Like this:

renderfarm.png

Hunky dory.

Thanks, Petri. It never occurred to me to try that. Great idea.

i cannot believe i have been wasting my life waiting for VW to 'finish thinking about something' before i can carry on, and all along i could have duplicated my app and carried on working.................... thank you kool you have changed my life!!!! i will now have time to do all the things i have ever wanted to do...... hahaahahaha

Thanks P. I didn't know the app could be duplicated, so I used different issues simultaniously.

Being able to use the same version makes it even better than what I asked for.

A seperate app like C4D would be nice, but not within my budget unless 3D projects become more frequent.

hyv?? p?iv?njatkoa!

The license agreement is actually vague on this issue.

It says you can only run it on one computer and that you can make one backup copy as long as it is not run, but it does not say anything about running multiple copies on one machine.

My bigger concern would be the potential for corruption of shared files like workspaces and prefences.

Kool Aid, have you checked to see if each copy has its own set of prefs or are both sharing a single set?

Vague indeed and the conditions are in this respect potentially different for dongled and non-dongled versions. While I'm not a lawyer, I would be surprised if any court would consider the two copies a violation of the licence. Besides, I can't believe NNA would be that petty: in general, VW licence is quite user-friendly. Maybe an official spokesperson for Nemetschek North America could chime in?

Preferences are an interesting issue: if the two copies are run under different users, they have separate preferences; if under one, they share them, with the potential for havoc. I've chosen the two users -approach, because then I can optimise the prefences as applicable for the two purposes.

At ?work? I have eg. 3D resolution as ?low?, at the ?render farm? ?very high?. And so on. Works beaut!

Whatever the license stipulates, the basic idea must be an optimal workflow for all VW users spending more and more cash on yearly upgrades. As long as only one single person uses one license anything must be okay.

It can't be in the interest of NNA that rendering unables further work on VW, maybe for hours. These workarounds are only useful for long time renderings anyway.

What we really need is an integrated background rendering engine working on a automatically created temporary copy. We need efficiency in VW, not time consuming workarounds.

It is also my belief that most members of this forum are comitted to VW and share their knowledge and spend a lot of time for the best of VW and thereby NNA - not to find ways to exploit obscurities in the license agreement.