Annotations-Structural Information

JSiegel

As a new user to VW2009 & 3D drawing in general, can anyone give me some ideas on the best way to provide structural information for the Construction Documents. For example, in 2D, I would create a class called structure & simply draw a heavy centerline above a window/door and call out a header size.

Is this still the most efficient way to provide structural information on the drawings?

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's a idea on how to add annotations and where...

If the info is unique to the detail - add it to that particular drawing in the viewport

If it's going to be shown on more that one sheet, add it in the design layer in an appropriate Class so it can be toggled on or off.

Islandmon & Wes,

Thanks for your input. Islandmon, I can't comment on the links you forwarded as they could not be found/opened. But you have likely hit upon the issue I am looking to address.

I am drawing a simple shed roof for a porch on a single family home with a dropped girder. Likely a triple 2x8 packed & trimmed out. So I would like to attach data/record to this object.

Additionally, what is the best practice layer wise for locating this object. Do I draw it in a class on my first floor layer and raise it into place or create it as part of my second floor deck?

I haven't checked the forum list yet as this has likely been addressed, but will do next.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Jeremy,

Following your lead as you've suggested - I still go with the "old Skool" approach of whatever is clearest to portray the information to the contractor. See example where I've indicated structural stuff in both the floor below and ceiling above. This sketch is the second floor of the building - the first floor carries the same information in its ceiling regarding the LVL's. The purpose - so the contractor can't possible miss the fact that beam needs to be there. This is just 2D info...

Wes,

I have always annotated the 2D drawings as per your image and you are correct in that it provides a high degree of clarity for the contractor. As I am switching over from Autocad R-14, I am trying to build the 3D model accurately for presentation & CD's.

That is why I am trying to get a handle on some best practices for building the model. I can always resort to 2D line work "old skool. Do you have any thoughts on where dropped girders/soffits should be draw in the 3D model? Its own design layer where I set the delta Z? Or as I mentioned in the prior post, should it be part of the floor above and then dropped down?

Thanks, Jeremy

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Jeremy,

If it's just a matter of setting a beam in the model and have it appear as a dashed line above, look at the attached file using a Framing Member out of the Detailing Tool Set

Jeremy:

I'd follow Wes' suggestion and use the 2D sheets to convey specific beam info to your contractor. I suggest creating a layer to which you send misc. 3D elements. A beam such as you've described would fit the bill. That way it will show up in the model--assuming its visibility is set to on--and it won't tend to clutter your Top/Plan view where you could use a simplified line to indicate the beam or header or other structural member.

The beam(s) would not need to be classed unless you wanted to show a variation/alternative or hide it for some reason.