Sustainable design tools in Vectorworks (20 mins video)

Luis M Ruiz

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Here is the secret.... Try an artistic render style and find the one that is two tones only, set the colors to dark dark gray and white and let the solar animation render with final quality.

It does the job good at popping the shadow more and takes less time to render.

Good luck!

Here is the secret.... Try an artistic render style and find the one that is two tones only, set the colors to dark dark gray and white and let the solar animation render with final quality.

It does the job good at popping the shadow more and takes less time to render.

Good luck!

Well, the problem with that is that you see that ugly line between walls from different layers!

Guest Wes Gardner

Yes, I beleive everything we show can be done in Architect (with Renderworks). The reason I hesitate is that I'm running Designer but I think in this case, everything is done in the Architect workspace, no "post-processing required."

We created the worksheet(s) by starting with a blank one and wrote the formulas to produce the results. We can (and will) make that/those worksheet available.

Edited by Wes Gardner

Wes

I like the video and your "out of the box" use of hay bales. Sounds like a good project for Burning Man.

I think that Vworks worksheet capabilities are the most dynamic aspect of the software. right now my knowledge of them is very crude and limited, i feel I use them like a hammer instead of the surgical scalpel that they are. Do you recommend a source for more information about worksheets, how to use them, and how they are linked to the design.

Mike, I'm familiar with straw bales. I remember pet rocks too.

For a doityourselfer they're an attractive option. They might even be appropriate in dry climates lacking wind and sesmic induced lateral loads.

But from a cost, trade base, and embodied energy standpoint they're unlikely to be a meaningful alternative in many locations.

As good as they sound on paper, they won't often beat conventional construction in the field.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi ChrisA,

Quite possibly the best resource is right here on the Community Board. There are many very talented folks who have been using Vectorworks for a long time and who are willing to share their experiences (and files and scripts) with you.

Several folks also offer Webinars and podcasts that address the inner workings and other black magic lurking within the Vectorworks worksheet?

BTW, the video was first produced with a ?target market? of User Group folks here in the states. I apologize for the use of elements like straw bales, rammed earth, SIP and other systems that do not ?travel? well.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

Regarding the Worksheets and other files developed for demo purposes, ultimately there will be a place on our website for downloads and viewing...however, in the short term, the file for calculating the amount of glass in a particular wall is attached. FYI, the file was created in '09.

Hope this helps

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • 3 months later...

"For a doityourselfer they're an attractive option. They might even be appropriate in dry climates lacking wind and sesmic induced lateral loads.

But from a cost, trade base, and embodied energy standpoint they're unlikely to be a meaningful alternative in many locations.

As good as they sound on paper, they won't often beat conventional construction in the field."

There are a number of straw bale homes in NZ where there are very high windzones and plenty of siesmic activity but unfortunately the cost is often high because of the lack of experienced people to build them. However they are gaining in popularity.

Mike, I'm familiar with straw bales. ? They might even be appropriate in dry climates lacking wind and sesmic induced lateral loads.

Straw bale buildings perform very similarly to timber buildings. They actually perform very well in earthquakes and wet climates. And just as with timber buildings you need to keep them dry.