Difficulty with Arcs

I've been having trouble drawing a line, arc, etc. from any point of an arc but the end point. It's difficult to explain, but lets say I have an arc drawn somewhere in my plan and I want to draft a line starting at the midpoint; when I click to start the line and pull away to go to where I want the end of the line to be, the start point of that line moves around in a circle with the center being that of the arc. I really need help to solve this problem. It is making it almost impossible to draft. I'm sure many other people are having this same issue, as well.

I've had a little difficulty working with arcs.

Specifically creating arcs tangent to arcs. Using the poly tool I can get this done, but if I want to draw tangent arcs end-to-end or from a position on an arc using separate arc segments I find the tangent snap unpredictable.

Is there a way to control tangency origin / arc direction? Very frequently my arc start point will snap tangent only to go the wrong way when trying to complete the new arc:

Tangent-Arc.gif

I'm new to VectorWorks, and I have only worked with the VW2009 demo for about 9 hours to this point. As an aside, I've found VectorWorks to be very easy to learn and quite capable. I've ordered VW 2010.

Any advice on best method to create these arcs is appreciated.