pdf printing

Kurt Magness

Question

I have 3 pdf print problems.

#1 I have some files when I print through the pdf option on my Mac the scale comes out incorrect (much smaller) on only some sheet layers of the file.

#2 When I export as pdf the scale is fine but the font is missing. My main font I use is digital strip it's a free true type font.

#3 Some sheet layers, usually the site plan, when I send it to my print service it prints out with horizontal shifts in the image every so often on the image. They say it looks fine on their monitor. They have to save the file as a tiff in order to get ride of the shifted images.

I thought PDF files were supposed to be less problematic?

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Kurt

3 answers to this question

PDF are less problematic if the Drivers, PPD, Fonts, and page parameters are set correctly.

#1 Have checked the DPI on those sheets ?

#2 Assuming you have Acrobat installed. Unfortunately, PDF is very font sensitive . Some older fonts will not resolve and will be replaced with Courier . Use Font Book app. to check your fonts for corruptions. This also may be a Driver issue.

Use the free Font Finaggler to convert the offending fonts into a version Acrobat 1.4 will recognize.

#3 This could be a conversion > image rastorization problem.

Ideally, the SitePlan would be vector NOT rastor or a combination of the two depending on whether or not images are embedded.

Getting the PDF process set-up properly and compatible with your print service takes some patient trial & error.

#1 I have some files when I print through the pdf option on my Mac the scale comes out incorrect (much smaller) on only some sheet layers of the file.

This sounds like some sheets have been scaled in their individual Page Setup Dialogs. Right click on the offending sheet in the Navigation palette, choose Edit from the pop up menu and then Page Setup>Printer Setup and make sure scale is set to 100%.

KM

thanks guys for the suggestions.

#1 I did use font book to check the digital strip font and it passed the test. However I went and downloaded the mac post script versions that included the bold, italic, underlined, etc versions, turned off the true type version and the sheet view pages now scale correctly when using the mac pdf print option. Since the true type had only the regular version perhaps when I made it bold, underlined, etc from within the vkwks program it looked fine on the screen but it messed things up when printing to pdf. Otherwise do true type fonts work with pdf files correctly?

#2 When I try exporting pdf it still shows no text with the new post script fonts. Perhaps adobe is insuring we use only adobe fonts ?

#3 still working on this one. seems to be particular sensitive to polylines used as contours lines.