Vwks newsletter Convert to Lines #38 available here

Tom G.

I don't believe NNA has licenced the Synchronous Technology therefore I don't think we'll ever get a "SketchUp on steroids". I also believe the push/pull, in the videos, are part of "Synchronous Technology" therefore I doubt we'll get that either, which means we might be stuck with the the way the 3D fillet works now ie. ungroup the fillet to edit the object. The developement since vw12 (vw2008, 2009, 2010) shows me that there will be very little in terms of going the "SketchUp on steroids" way in vw2011 or vw2012, which is a shame.

This is just my opinion but I wish I'm wrong. Also a personal view, I like the SpaceClaim technology better than the Siemans technology based on the videos. eg. SpaceClaim can edit a 3D object's primitive 2D shape where the section plane cuts the 3D object and the hatch for that 3D object is shown in 3D. I haven't seen Synchronous Technology do that.

Thanks, Shaun, I appreciate your input. It is an appealing image--SketchUp on steroids. Siemens doesn't own the market for push-pull technology, given the examples of competition noted in the original Community Board thread, so what's true today--lack of license--may not be true tomorrow. As markets mature, technology moves downward, especially toward existing partners. So in time, maybe things change.

I don't expect SketchUp to sit still either.