Wall Joins in VW 2010

AN Design

After joining all exterior Walls they randomly un-join

I go back and rejoin (all are L joints) and then another corner will un-join.

This is now happening on all walls drawn. Random unjoin.

Fix a joint and another wall will unjoin.

Quit VW and restart and it begins the same unjoin again randomly

Mac OSX 10.6.1 w/ VW 2010 Designer w/ renderworks

I am getting all kinds of odd wall behaviour in both newly created files and old 2009 files. Auto wall join is off:

* I can no longer create a clean T join with the join component tool. I get an error saying "walls must be joined before components can be joined". In 2009 I could create a clean joint with 1 command. Now I have to use T wall join, then T component join.

* T joins at corners, where you have 2 exterior walls L shaped, and want an interior partition aligned with the interior face of the GWB are problematic. The joint seems to revert to some odd state at will.

There seems to be a lot of bugs.

I am going to have to go back to 2009. I can't get any consistency in the wall joins, and it is driving me crazy. I have joined the same corners about 20 times, following the help menu directions exactly, and when I open the file again some of the corners and mid wall joins are gone or screwed up.

Not impressed.

I have a three level house design that I created in VW2009 and imported into 2010. When I first looked at the plans in 2010 there were a few (4-5) walls intersections that had come undone. I fixed these and now all the wall intersections seem to be holding through repeated use and openings of the file.

I have been continuing to develop this design in 2010. My sense has been that the lack of glitches in this translated file is remarkable.

I watched the video regarding enhanced wall joins.

http://www.nemetschek.net/designer/designer-feature-list.php?feature=architectural-features

What I found odd was that it showed joining walls on top of each other rather than joining components.

Maybe with the new parametric constraints the way to build complex walls is with multiple constrained simple walls?

Edited by brudgers
  • Administrator

For all of you having problems with wall joins, could you send us an email to tech@vectorworks.net subject "wall joins" with a test file and the following information:

Vectorworks serial#:

Please specify if the file comes from a previous VW version.

Thanks,

Juan Almansa

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
* I can no longer create a clean T join with the join component tool. I get an error saying "walls must be joined before components can be joined". In 2009 I could create a clean joint with 1 command. Now I have to use T wall join, then T component join.

This is by design. Due to some new features, we had to remove this automatic behavior. But did you know that if you have the auto join walls preference on and give your walls core components in either their Wall Styles or in the Wall Preferencs, you can have your wall components join automatically when you join the walls?

* T joins at corners, where you have 2 exterior walls L shaped, and want an interior partition aligned with the interior face of the GWB are problematic. The joint seems to revert to some odd state at will.

This is a known issue that has been fixed for the first service pack. But please still do submit your issues as JPA requested so that we can test out your files and make sure everything is working correctly. Thank you.

Edited by CGrayeNNA

For what it is worth, I'm a very new (and very enthusiastic) user and am having the same problems you describe with *any* kind of wall join in 2010. Unfortunately, I am so new to the VW software (yet having used Revit 09 and 10,ACAD Architecture,TurboCad,Cinema4D,Bricscad9 Pro,Rhino4, and others for years now..) that I don't quite know how to point to the problem clearly except that I've spent many hours looking at tutorials, links, making new files and now just about to try a re-install. Definitely frustrating. Wall join just does not seem to work as described in the "Getting Started" tutorial and un-does itself without warning or any predictable outcome. If I was a seasoned user, I'd know what to check. I figure that I've got about another 23 days left to bail out... I hope I don't have to.

I'll call tech suppt. next and hope my luck is good. I really do hope it is just that I'm missing something.

Thanks,

two

EDITED: Tech Support was excellent. Problem solved - just another case of user/beginner error.

Edited by twonetis

I've got issues with wall joining as well... It seams for some odd reason, when I join two walls (say two interior walls) other completely unrelated walls, in my case exterior walls on the other side of the building, come unjoined and reposition (!!!) themselves in new locations within the drawing or completely disapear! A very unwelcome result... aarrggg..... any help?

I've got issues with wall joining as well... It seams for some odd reason, when I join two walls (say two interior walls) other completely unrelated walls, in my case exterior walls on the other side of the building, come unjoined and reposition (!!!) themselves in new locations within the drawing or completely disapear! A very unwelcome result... aarrggg..... any help?

Welcome to my world! It definitely disrupts your work, for now I am trying to ignore them while we wait for the patch. I think they want you to send them the files. I have to say though, my walls don't disappear.
* I can no longer create a clean T join with the join component tool. I get an error

This is a known issue that has been fixed for the first service pack. But please still do submit your issues as JPA requested so that we can test out your files and make sure everything is working correctly. Thank you.

Well, this issue has been there as long as I can remember.

The solution to it is: don't use T joins on L joins.

Do it the other way: Extend one to the interior part of the others, then component-join the two other walls to that wall.

You'll have a clean wall join, and the BIG BONUS of this is that in the render method Hidden lines, you don't get a line where the walls join.