Cost to upgrade

D Wood

I have received the "upgrade to v2009 and you get 2010 for free" offer from our local (& sole) VW supplier. I am on v12.5, and the price quoted to go from v12.5 to 2010 via 2009 is $NZ2800, about $US1950, or ?1200. I have until tomorrow night to decide, because the price goes up by several hundred dollars more when it's a straight v12.5 to v2010 upgrade.

I am being offered the Australasian version which has a extra package of localised goodies, so I don't know what the basic upgrade price is. I am curious however to see how the price compares to what is demanded in other parts of the world - has anyone else had a price offered for this upgrade?

Bob-H

It's interesting that your upgrade from v12.5 to 2010 cost you $US800 in total, yet the price here is $US1950. Even allowing extra for Renderworks and for the local add-ons (including WinDoor, which I already have), the price required by the NZ distributor seems exorbitant by comparison.

I wonder if NNA places any constraints on distributors, especially those in a monopolistic situation. Both our distributor and the Australian distributor do not put pricing information on their websites, so it is difficult to see how the pricing is made up or justified, and they will only respond to a request for a specific quote, not for pricing information in general.

Do US users have a choice in dealers, or are you forced to use your local distributor?

These are the current official UK rrp prices for 2010 Architect/Renderworks 1st license unless stated. All are plus VAT (temporary 12 month 'recession beating' cut to 15% but back to 17.5% from Jan 2010) plus P&P.

?1649 2010 Full version

?1334 (as above but second license)

?390 2009 to 2010

?683 2008 to 2010

?780 v10, v11, v12 to 2010

?893 Pre 10 to 2010

?220 Architect 2010 to Architect/Renderworks 2010

?816 including VAT [15%] and shipping for 2 licence upgrade for Architect / Renderworks from 2008 to 2009 with free upgrade to 2010. 30 days to pay and will send back if I don't like it or 2010 when it comes out in a few weeks!

So far not spotted much difference between 2008 and 2009 but then I have only been on it a few days and I did not buy it for 2009 which had no appeal and bought it for 2010 with the hope that it has plenty of appeal.

?816 including VAT [15%] and shipping for 2 licence upgrade for Architect / Renderworks from 2008 to 2009 with free upgrade to 2010. 30 days to pay and will send back if I don't like it or 2010 when it comes out in a few weeks!
That is certainly the cheapest way to get a double version upgrade. But its only available for a small time frame which I suspect is now past as no 'to 2009' upgrades are listed as being available.

FYI. 2 license upgrade 2009 to 2010 is exactly what you specified for your 2008 to 2009 plus free 2010 upgrade.

?390 2009 to 2010 1st license

?309 2009 to 2010 2nd license

?815 inc VAT and shipping.

Full licenses are shipped tomorrow but upgrades are still due soon.

Downlodable version of core VW pack with possibility to purchase it via internet from any place of this planet would be step forward.

National resellers could offer localisation packages + plugins taylored to measure local needs and regulations ..

This parcellation of market, distribution of "boxed software" via Fedex .. looks like an anachronism at these times.

Sorry for this heresy against good old way of doing things. ;)

Downlodable version of core VW pack with possibility to purchase it via internet from any place of this planet would be step forward.

National resellers could offer localisation packages + plugins taylored to measure local needs and regulations ..

This parcellation of market, distribution of "boxed software" via Fedex .. looks like an anachronism at these times.

A 4GB Vectorworks download would break some peoples internet usage limits.

Personally, I prefer my software (programs, audio and videos) to be tangible so I can do with them what I want - put on shelf or RIP for instant access and store away the original.

The thought of a virtual present (electronic gift voucher) for a virtual present (download) makes me want to weep.

Call me old fashioned. But Birthdays and Xmas's are depressing enough before not even getting a real present.

Well, you guys are all lucky, we have much higher prices here:

VW Architect + renderworks new : more than ?3.000

Upgrade VW Architecte + renderworks 2009-2010 : almost ?1.000

And you have to know that this is more when you convert it to dollar!

Ouch.... mind you, you should see what we have to pay for a Leffe ;) And they refuse to sell it to you in pints - something about 'for your own safety'

A 4GB Vectorworks download would break some peoples internet usage limits.

Personally, I prefer my software (programs, audio and videos) to be tangible so I can do with them what I want - put on shelf or RIP for instant access and store away the original.

The thought of a virtual present (electronic gift voucher) for a virtual present (download) makes me want to weep.

Call me old fashioned. But Birthdays and Xmas's are depressing enough before not even getting a real present.

You can burn your own DVD or record it on USB storage to put it on shelf.

4GB .. it is not that huge amount of data to ruin inet accounts of most of us. For example complete Mandriva or Ubuntu installation iso has comparable data size.

And btw, to run your CAD apps you dont need to download (AT ONE TIME) all libraries and bonuses included on your DVD.

Some repository system or 3D warehouse equivalent would solve this "problem" at all.

And finally, if you dont have inet connection or you are old fashioned, you can still obtain your box with installation DVD via Fedex.

We dont buy software or DVDs, we buy the rights to use it under certain conditions...

Well, you guys are all lucky, we have much higher prices here:

VW Architect + renderworks new : more than ?3.000

Upgrade VW Architecte + renderworks 2009-2010 : almost ?1.000

And you have to know that this is more when you convert it to dollar!

That is because you have to buy a twice-localised version: you pay for both the U.S. of A. localisation and the Benelux one. When you buy the localised VW Architect, you are subsidising the tiny minority of users residing in U.S.A. since you also buy VW McMansion.

There's a bit of poetic justice here: Americans can only have the McMansion version, void of professional tools.

4GB .. it is not that huge amount of data to ruin inet accounts of most of us. For example complete Mandriva or Ubuntu installation iso has comparable data size.

And btw, to run your CAD apps you dont need to download (AT ONE TIME) all libraries and bonuses included on your DVD.

Jeez. Having to download VW over two consecutive months just to avoid breaking a download limit. Up to 2 months delivery time - that's progress for you.

Call the UK telco industry old fashioned.

Jeez. Having to download VW over two consecutive months just to avoid breaking a download limit. Up to 2 months delivery time - that's progress for you.

Call the UK telco industry old fashioned.

I have standard ADSL connection for consumer sector

Premium ADSL 8 192/512 kbit/s - no data limit - 699,00 CZK (inc VAT) = cca ? 28/month

Using max speed download it would take slightly more then 1 hour ... lets say in fact about 2 - 3 hours. ;)