Wall, Plug-In & Symbol export from VW2009 to DWG?

nering

Question

9 answers to this question

Or maybe they do? I would not know.

The Company Line of NNA suggest so, but maybe there are. Surely there are Walls in eg. Revit and Archicad. Perhaps in AutoCAD ADT, too.

The problem lies elsewhere: even the IFC-protocol has no mechanism for lexical translation. All objects are converted to very basic 3D-representations (as Jeffrey Ouellette's obfuscating reply the other day in effect conveyed). There's no way for the receiving progam to interpret the data in an intelligent way.

This is not equivalent for ?no counterpart?.

So much for BIM :(

I take it this is not addressed in VW2010 either?

This is NOT something VW/NNA could address. The IFC specification does not have the required lexical structures. For better or worse: my Door & Window tools (and all the other 40 or so tools that constitute the Finnish implementation) have features far beyond anything the smart builders of BuildingSmart? could ever imagine.

However, BIM does not mean direct interoperability, despite the propaganda or perception of it.

OK, does anybody know if the ArchiCAD or Revit will export into DWGs a lot better? Or, is it the same - sounds good in theory, but falls short in reality?

I need to resolve this very fast - our consultant is expecting a file that will work "perfectly" in their AutoCAD mechanical and I only have a week or so to do it.

What your consultant expects and what they get may not be the same thing.

You can export Vectorworks objects in 3d to generic AutoCAD 3d objects by exporting to .dwg from a 3d view.

But I do not believe there is a simple way to create ADT proxy objects such as doors and windows directly from Vectorworks.

Once an object leaves the original application, you cannot expect it to maintain intelligence.

Thank you brudgers, that is exactly what I found.

I did try importing DWGs and IFCs exported from Revit. The results were the same as with DWGs and IFCs from VW2009 - in DWG everything was converted into meshes, in IFCs walls came across as walls, but everything else as (unmodifiable) IFC entities.

Does anybody know if there is an easy way to convert the IFC entities back into doors/windows/stairs, etc.?

OK, does anybody know if the ArchiCAD or Revit will export into DWGs a lot better? Or, is it the same - sounds good in theory, but falls short in reality?

I need to resolve this very fast - our consultant is expecting a file that will work "perfectly" in their AutoCAD mechanical and I only have a week or so to do it.

I've tried to export from VW to AchiCAD and vice versa using IFC, walls come up as walls which can be edited, joined etc. great! doors and windows don't, however it is possible to select and covert for example an IFC imported door to an ArchiCAD basic door however width and height info are 'lost'(ie. it is not possible to select all IFC doors and change them to ArchiCAD doors and have them keep their correct dimensions :( . The thing is that IFC files include a lot of data however it is also up the program that imports them to read this data and convert/map it to native objects ..... ArchiCAd and VW do not do this in any significant way except for walls. Don't know about Revit.....

Edited by Vincent C