3d Stuff

GWS

Question

As we are encouraged to work in a 3D world, perhaps it might be useful to have:-

3D dimensioning so viewports that are taken from the 3D model can be dimensioned without having to draw 2D objects over the top them.

3D filleting/chamfering tool that means you don't have to ungroup the fillet before you can then edit the object ( a real pain if there are many differing fillets)

3D constraints. I saw a lovely video techtip thingy the other day about constraining cogs at a set distance.....which was nice, except designing in 3D makes it rather irrelevent.

From a Machine Design point of view these things would make the upgrade worth it, as it is once again Machine Design seems to be the 2nd cousin; perhaps it will be abandoned all together!!!

6 answers to this question

I agree with your wishes GWS. These wishes should have been implemented by now. Frankly, I don't know what NNA is up to.

Slowly I'm loosing faith in them. vw2009 and 2010 was and is being blamed for "laying the foundation" but if the foundation isn't layed already and the "structure" hasn't started by vw2011, then I think by vw2012 I'll decide whether to stick with a dead horse or not.

Shaun

We do not know how much old code has to be fixed or removed as upgrades are implemented. I could imagine where over a million lines of code has to be reviewed.

The pace may be directly proportional to the price of Vectorworks, not sure? The Vectorworks price may be in direct proportion to the amount of engineering resources that can be made available, wonder how many are working on the application day in and day out. Best I can tell ArchiCAD's new Teamwork server has taken over 4 years to implement for just this one new feature.

Imagine a the amount of effort it would take to manage data if you worked in a file with over 10,000 classes, 10,000 design layers, and 1,000 references to other files. From working in other applications similar to Vectorworks, the present path that I see they are taking will allow greater creativity in creating forms and shapes of all types.

From the Downloadable brochure one see 80 new or improved tools and features. ArchiCADD had maybe 20 in this release, hard to tell as they did not list much. Revit had a very limited set of improvements besides the Ribbon interface. If this were a race, which it is not, I can see Vectorworks overtaking the other two by 2012 as being the most designer friendly application to use for design professionals.

As we are encouraged to work in a 3D world . . . . .

From a Machine Design point of view these things would make the upgrade worth it, as it is once again Machine Design seems to be the 2nd cousin; perhaps it will be abandoned all together!!!

Guy, i agree almost entirely with your points but as 1 of the many 3rd cousins twice removed in the MD fraternity i would suggest not to be too ready to jump ship just yet.

As for your points:-

1-almost there, but not quite!

2-still a long way off!

3-Needs a complete overhall plus the inclusion of a drop-down in the OIP to select a specific pitch/tooth combo. 32pitch or 64pitch etc. etc. for example instead of just Mod1(and it's variants) so that all you need to do is choose the number of teeth for the pitch you want on the pinion/spur/crown giving you the correct pitch diameter straight off the cuff.

i think NNA have finally got a grip on what's needed, but don't be surprised if MD is the last to benefit entirely from the changes. Rostislav makes a good point too. Resources!

Besides, which ship would you hope fishes you out of the water right now? :)

Edited by AndiACD

I am planning to stick with it.

I do believe that VW offers an awful lot and covers alot of differing bases which means I have less restrictions when designing and do not need to use 2 or 3 programs.

I have just ordered my upgrade to 2010 (should arrive soon) and was pleasantly surprised at the cost, perhaps I shouldn't say that too loudly as it might put the price up!!!

Optimistic for 2011!!!!!