2010 - 3d Dimensioning

I would be curious to hear / see some real world examples of where to use 3D dimensions. I can't imagine how they would become a big part of my workflow but I'm sure I could be convinced otherwise. Are you imagining 3d dimensions as they relate to a 3D view in a sheet layer viewport or actual 3d dimensions in the model itself?

Perhaps people would be willing to post / link to some examples of their use in other programs, describing what they like / don't like. Maybe it will influence the future.....

Thanks,

Kevin

I would be curious to hear / see some real world examples of where to use 3D dimensions. I can't imagine how they would become a big part of my workflow but I'm sure I could be convinced otherwise. Are you imagining 3d dimensions as they relate to a 3D view in a sheet layer viewport or actual 3d dimensions in the model itself?

Perhaps people would be willing to post / link to some examples of their use in other programs, describing what they like / don't like. Maybe it will influence the future.....

Thanks,

Kevin

For example here - watch the video from min 16:45 ...

But I guess - whole concept of Spaceclaim is remarkable

Kevin

For me the 3D dimensions would be great in communicationg designs to clients. In general my vendors and contractors have no problem looking at plan and section views to get what they need. It's the orthagonal views I do for the client that would benefit from 3D dimensions as they most often cannot quite relate the ortho view to what they see in the plan view.

3D associative dimensions would mean that viewports could be dimensioned without having to redraw 2D circles, arcs etc over the 3D object and when the design is altered the dimensions would update...both situations would be a massive time saver.

I also agree with David that a 3D dimensioned drawing is a very clear way to convey the info to clients

For example here - watch the video from min 16:45 ...

But I guess - whole concept of Spaceclaim is remarkable

I hope NNA is paying attention to this technolgy. This is how VW should be like. The workflow is clean, finished, polished and professional. I also like the fact everything is in OpenGL. I also like how the 2D and 3D is intergrated/combined-now that is what a "unified" view should be like. And what about those 3D hatches :o - unbelievable. Programs like this, is what I mean about VW being left behind in the technology race.

Thanks to those who posted examples. I can certainly see the advantages in client based presentation views.

Spaceclaim certainly looks powerful and has some impressive features. My impression is that it serves a different market. It probably also has the advantage of being built from the ground up on a more modern technology (ie. no legacy aspects to deal with). I also suspect it costs significantly more though the information isn't readily available on its website. Mentions of lease based licensing certainly imply this. I would be curious.....

KM

Thanks to those who posted examples. I can certainly see the advantages in client based presentation views.

Spaceclaim certainly looks powerful and has some impressive features. My impression is that it serves a different market. It probably also has the advantage of being built from the ground up on a more modern technology (ie. no legacy aspects to deal with). I also suspect it costs significantly more though the information isn't readily available on its website. Mentions of lease based licensing certainly imply this. I would be curious.....

KM

Spaceclaim was built from the ground up, that is true, but the price is suprisingly very - very reasonable ...

http://www.novedge.com/brands/89

And the 3D hatches .. well,there is nothing new under sun

Intellicad hatches rotated in 3D ...

And Intellicad clones are actually comparable with AutoCad 13/14 ... year 1997 ;)

I don't see the 3d hatch in the Parasolid example. Does Parasolid have 3d sectional hatching capability?

This is an excellent point. I truly wonder whether this will ever be possible in VW.

Working on a project today, I discovered that VW already has sectional hatching in the section viewports. Can't remember if I had noticed that before. This is not the same, however, as sectional hatching in a dynamic 3d cutaway as shown in the examples above.