Using a image as a subtraction

MattG

I have this platform that holds this product for a company I work with a lot. It already exists, but I want to incorporate it into future drawings of other thing.

On the platform the face is something like 1/8" brushed aluminum with one of the companies logos cnc'ed out of the aluminum and it wraps around the circle. What I am looking for help on is recreating that. Is there a way to take an image and somehow convert it to something that I can then use to subtract from the cylinder?

Also, you will see that the cylinder, is a cylinder, and I know when it was made it was cnc'ed out of flat pieces of material. How can I take the whole thing and unwrap it then hopefully subtract the graphic.

The end result is that there are lights in the cylinder and where the subtraction is there is a colored thin plastic that then lights up and looks pretty cool. I want to eventually recreate that.

Any help appreciated. I am attaching a 2009 file that has a simple version as an example of what I am trying to do. I am using the Vectorworks logo in it as the company is kinda sensitive about their info getting out.

Matt

Slightly trying to avoid that if possible it was one of the few ideas I had as I started. Reason being I would have to really think out the texture. The logo is not constantly going around. It is in 1/4's and only repeats 4 times. I am not very good at rescaling textures. My hope would be to find a way, maybe using the unfold the surface etch out that graphic and then refold (not sure how to accomplish that) over the 4 quarters of the circle.

Overall yes the way you are saying would work, and thanks for that help. I am just trying to see if there is another way of doing it.