Natural daylighting

PIP NZ

All,

Thanks for the profile info. I am presently experimenting with them. "Extrude Along Path" is a new command to me. It seems a bit quirky. For instance: (1) it deletes the source profile, (2) if the trim profile is say 3/4"thick, then my offset rectangle(for baseboard moulding) needs to be offset from the wall 3/8"( so the command chooses the centerline?), (3) direction of profile (front/back) takes a little experimentation.

Most importantly, and this is where I need some assistance to "stretch" my new profiles the "3D Reshape tool" does not allow me to lock into the X or Y plane. Also where is the mitre tool? When placing individual pieces of crown at inside/outside corners this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeremy

After Extrude along path, right click on the object and choose Edit Profile.

As I said in my earlier post, use the Split Tool to miter.

You should edit the extrude length in the OIP (Object Info Palette).

After you extrude your profile, go to Menu bar>Modify>Create Symbol. In the Create Symbol dialog box name your symbol. Click on the Options... button and choose Convert to Group. When using the symbol out of the Resource Browser the extrude will be placed as a stand alone object and not a symbol. Using this method you will always have the original extrude to work with. If you don't check Covert to Group when you edit the profile it will change all examples in the drawing.

All,

Thanks for the profile info. I am presently experimenting with them. "Extrude Along Path" is a new command to me. It seems a bit quirky. For instance: (1) it deletes the source profile, (2) if the trim profile is say 3/4"thick, then my offset rectangle(for baseboard moulding) needs to be offset from the wall 3/8"( so the command chooses the centerline?), (3) direction of profile (front/back) takes a little experimentation.

To get to the original profile object, just double click on the EAP and edit the Profile Object.

Move it so that the point you want to run along the path is at the 0,0 point on the screen.

I think VW assumes that you have drawn the path in a clockwise direction. If that is not true, you may have to mirror the profile across the insertion point to get what you want/need.

The above should help you get your molding in the right place more easily.

For your mitre question, type the Split tool in the Split by Line mode from a top or top/plan view.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Jeff:

Regarding the bedroom rendering:

If your light colors are set using color temperature then you might want to go to View->Lighting->Layer Lighting Options and change the color temperature white balance to 3400K. That will make the lights much less yellow.

Try using the Visualization palette to turn off all but the HDRI to see what contribution you are getting from it. You should also turn off ambient in the Lighting Options to make sure you can see what lighting contributions you are getting from the HDRI and sun directional light.

My guess is that the HDRI is too dim, and changing the color temperature white balance and cranking up the HDRI brightness will help lighten up the room.

While you are tweaking the lighting turn off anti-aliasing and zoom way out in the view (if in a design layer) or turn down the sheet layer DPI setting (if in a viewport) to reduce the number of pixels that are rendered and hence the render time.

Area lights and final gather together take a long time to render, I would try using an HDRI for the soft sky lighting rather than an area light.

BTW if you don't set reflectivity of a texture you get the same thing as Matte by default.

Also if you could email this file I'd love to see what I can get out of it.

Edited by Dave Donley
Hello Jeff:

Regarding the bedroom rendering:

If your light colors are set using color temperature then you might want to go to View->Lighting->Layer Lighting Options and change the color temperature white balance to 3400K. That will make the lights much less yellow.

Try using the Visualization palette to turn off all but the HDRI to see what contribution you are getting from it. You should also turn off ambient in the Lighting Options to make sure you can see what lighting contributions you are getting from the HDRI and sun directional light.

My guess is that the HDRI is too dim, and changing the color temperature white balance and cranking up the HDRI brightness will help lighten up the room.

While you are tweaking the lighting turn off anti-aliasing and zoom way out in the view (if in a design layer) or turn down the sheet layer DPI setting (if in a viewport) to reduce the number of pixels that are rendered and hence the render time.

Area lights and final gather together take a long time to render, I would try using an HDRI for the soft sky lighting rather than an area light.

BTW if you don't set reflectivity of a texture you get the same thing as Matte by default.

Also if you could email this file I'd love to see what I can get out of it.

Go, Dave, go. Really great advice.

Only one question. Do you really think that rendering with area lights will INCREASE rendering time? My experience has been that, in order to get what you need out of HDRI, you need to use final gather, which takes a long time to render. I've gone back to using area lights in the windows and turning off final gather in order to get shorter rendering times.