Natural daylighting

PIP NZ

VW2009, Final Quality RenderWorks, I haven't added textures to the walls - is this necessary? Design layer/model space - I think... still kind of new to VW as you can tell.

I set my camera view in RenderWorks, then viewed in the object info palette. Is there an easier way to view interiors?

I am trying to get a snapshot of how shadows are cast into this room that is already part of a model I have been working on, and then show a series of shots for a basic solar analysis.

Thanks.

It's not necessary to add textures to the walls. But it is possible to create textures with odd shadow behavior.

Are you getting any light into the interior? (ie is the glazing on the windows and doors transparent?)

If you add a point source light in the interior, does that help?

If you turn the ambient layer light level higher, does that help?

...and I wouldn't say this if I hadn't done it: Is your camera object inside a wall?

hth

michaelk

The default texture set in the walls drawn is stucco medium white wall. I played around a little with other textures - which did help, however I am still having a few issues.

Openings are translucent, and I can see sun through them. The sun just does not project into the room as much as it should be. Is my north screwed up? How do I check this?

After playing with the textures I am able to get light, but it is appears either washed out or too dark depending on the brightness.

No, the camera is not in a wall. I Can see the furniture and person I placed in the model etc....

I don't have any light source in the interior - I am guessing I need to add one in...

I appreciate your help on this.

Did you use the Set Sun Position command? View>Lighting>Set Sun Position...

This will take care of the true north compared to page north problem, and set the sun position for you.

Turning up the ambient layer light should light what isn't being struck directly by the sunlight.

Or using Final Radiosity will bounce the sunlight around the room to light the walls.

hth

michaelk

Set the Stucco texture reflectivity to Matte and max the ambient and diffuse settings.

Then play around with the View>Lighting>Set Layer Lighting options. You can select your 'Sun' and change azimute (height) and Latitiude (rotation) so that the sun 'shines' into your windows better. NOTE!! Once you change this, the original location settings will NOT be correct, so if the point of the presentation is to show how the sun behaves in this particular location don't fiddle with those settings.....

If you are only using an exterior light source to light an interior model, you'll need to use Radiosity or Final Gather in Custom Renderworks to get the light to bounce around. FQRW will only give you "direct" illumination (no bounces.)

I have lit model interiors using only an HDRI background outside the model and it gave good results but the render times were quite long.

See the following posts:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=112213

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=112664

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=60037&Main=13944#Post60037

I REALLY wish that there were more thorough Renderworks tutorials/manuals. I've suffered through LOTS of trial and error.

I've suffered through LOTS of trial and error.

And i thought that i was the only one experiencing this affliction.

One way to ease the pain of experimentation is to utilized low dpi Sheets with stripped down Viewports.

Instead of rendering the entire scene at hi-res, first, crop the VP to show an average vertical or horizontal slice of the scene.

Then, reset the Sheet to something like 54 dpi and have at it.

Excellent suggestion, islandmon.

I also use Custom Renderworks and set all the variables to Low until I have things worked out. That, when combined with the low sheet layer dpi, results in VPs that render very quickly.

You can also use the render bitmap tool, while working on a design layer, to render just a portion of the image.

While we are on the subject of lighting...

Attached is a room we are working on with input from a lighting designer. The room is rendered with only her actual lighting along with sunlight. It still seems way too dark although I don't think it is a product of her lighting placement.

We do have an HDRI outside along with one sun. Interior is lit only with actual lights an no ambient light.

Render is Custom Renderworks with Final Gather at 12" and 10%.

My question has more to do with reflectivity of surfaces - our walls and ceilings had no reflectivity in the texture. Should we use "image reflectivity" or "matte" in order to get the light bouncing more? The wood floor has phong as the reflectivity.

It seems that we really aren't getting very much from the sun. I think the reality is the room will be very bright during the day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

By looking at the shadows, sees what lighting effect it will have if you rotate the room 180deg in relation to the sun source. See what light will come streaming through the window behind the bed.

Also what is the transparency of the glass?

I would use Image reflectivity and you need to have some sort of reflectivity for it to reflect, might just be why it is so dark in there.

Jeffroyer ... a couple simple tricks ...

1) Floor & varnishes require reflectivity

2) Place Directional Light(s) ( possibly colored ) above ceiling panels,

then assign the panels a simple transparency to allow the light to radiate through.

( i sometimes do this with fake walls opposite the ambient for brightness ).

• 2 weeks later...

jeffroyer & others,

As a new user to VW2009 in general and RW in particular, I have a few questions:

1) The oak floor texture in the bedroom image you had attached previously: Is this within the VW textures? I f so where? Also did you draw the floor as individual planks or is this a simple flat surface?

2) For lineal elements; crowns & base moldings are these simply drawn, extruded, & dropped into place? The lineal elements tool bar seems to be useful for details, rather than model elements?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

It would make it easier to help and answer questions if you would create a signature with your version of Vectorworks including updates and computer specs including OS. Click on the My Stuff link at the top, Edit Profile.

There are lot's of textures that ship with VW, on Windows they are located here:

C:\Program Files\Vectorworks2009\Libraries\Textures

You can extrude moldings and miter with the Split Tool, or you can use Extrude Along Path.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lineal elements tool bar"

Ray,

I will further search the library. I meant Detailing\Tool Sets\Lineal Material where I said "lineal elements tool bar" sorry for lack of clarity.

As for the moldings are there stock profiles that can be used and/or modified or am I to draw them, extrude them & miter them as you mention?

Thanks,

Jeremy

jeffroyer,

It seems to me that you are getting virtually no contribution from the North & East windows. This may have to do with your glass reflectivity or the HDRI outside. You can estimate / calculate the contribution you expect from these and create an area light, angled slightly downward, hide geometry and place just outside the windows.