Lost Authorization Code

June

Hi I'm from the UK and new on here.

I'm trying to load on the 2008 upgrade that came free with Vectorworks 12.5 but I was sent it a long while ago and have since cleared out the boxes and kept the discs without the code.

I have the original 12.5 product and code but the seller is not operating anymore and wondered if Nemetschek could send me through a new code if I gave them all the original details I have? But how do I contact them from the UK, as on their website they ask you to return to the original seller if your not from USA.

Any point in the right direction would be appreciated

Depends on the crime, especially since we have the right to carry and bear arms and have the deathly fear of any form of lost of freedom. Was just pointing out the cultural issue of a dongle in the US,, not qualifying whether it was civilized or not.

It would seem here in the US we choose to use a more stealthy form Dongle, having the application phone home to NNA.

But your assessment about legal recorded sales is more correct using the Dongle, that is basically why Apple(where their computer is the dongle for the Software) has very lax use of any form of licensing requirements for the software they distribute at the consumer level.

We find here the crime is the stealing of the Dongle along with the software, which without having to phone home is untraceable. We had this occur with our use of Form Z and the dongles required. One day 4 of the dongles were missing and we had to repurchase.

We prefer the method that Quark uses with a License Server that is monitored by us and by Quark which allows the best of Security and Flexibility for larger offices over multiple locations.

(Stolen) We do not and have not, wonder why you would think so? Have you experience otherwise?

Have no issue with crime prevention, but ask, if someone stole your dongle or you happen to lose your dongle and had to pay full price to repurchase, it sounds like you are OK with that Scenario, yes? That makes sense, puts the liability on the end user.

But as we said, with the Quark Model, one can check out a serial number for a user defined length of time and go to the north pole and back all the while working with no connection to the net.

For larger offices with over 200 dongles the cost to manage becomes an price inhibitor due to the increased possibility of the above scenario (especially for those that travel). Of course, we here in the US are just one step above Neanderthals which further explains are aversion to Dongles.

Dear me ? this profound ignorance of a Homo americanus: a distant predecessor of H. neanderthalis.

The Dongle is the only know means of preventing software theft. So why are you so upset?

The replacement cost of a dongle is in tens of US Pesos. A stolen dongle is useless, unless the serial number is also stolen. Even the combo is commercially next to worthless, because the thief cannot upgrade.

In an office of 200 licences, there only needs to be one network dongle. There are even plans for travellers.

Can you perhaps provide proof that Americans, the nation of champion levels of criminality, is immune to software theft?

The Dongle is the only know means of preventing software theft. So why are you so upset?

The replacement cost of a dongle is in tens of US Pesos. A stolen dongle is useless, unless the serial number is also stolen. Even the combo is commercially next to worthless, because the thief cannot upgrade.

In an office of 200 licences, there only needs to be one network dongle. There are even plans for travellers.

Can you perhaps provide proof that Americans, the nation of champion levels of criminality, is immune to software theft?

Not upset at all, intrigued.

In the US for those Software companies that require dongles, if you lose them then you pay full price for the software and Dongle, its as if you had to buy anew. This, as you so rightly point out is due to the excessive criminality of our culture.

I think in your earlier post you may have pointed out those that participate a bit more in all the software piracy. Never really kept track of what area of the world has the highest piracy.

If you like, we can keep the conversation going via private messages, as much of the commentary may not be very helpful to others interested in this topic.

If you like, we can keep the conversation going via private messages, as much of the commentary may not be very helpful to others interested in this topic.

The VW dongle in the EU is not what you assume it'd be in the U.S. of A. Works fine: you get a replacement in less than 24 hours for a fistful of Euros.

You chose to make an argument about something you don't know about. That, unfortunately, is not my problem.

Petri

Never thought this was an argument, more of a discussion that was revealing the differences of implementation of security measures in differing areas of the world. Argument implies an attempt to have on idea win out over another, not our purpose.

We never said Dongles would not be the way to go, that is for NNA to decide. Never said we would not use Dongles, as we mentioned we used software with dongles in many instances as well as other methods.

All we did do was indicate the issues and perceptions one might encounter with Dongles in the USA in relation to your original comment and our preference due to present implementations in the U.S. of A.

Thanks for all the insights.

our preference due to present implementations in the U.S. of A.

Indeed. For a short period I was a MiniCAD reseller. Under the then-present implementation in the country in question (no dongles), I was asked ? not once, not twice, not? ? if I could split the invoice as Tom, Dick and Harry were going to pool their resources to buy a (1, one, single) copy of MiniCAD.

At least they were honest. I've visited firms without even the first legal copy, but with 10 to 20 users.

Nevertheless, the US market of VW is only about 20%. (22%?)

My assessment is that even if no-one in the US would buy VW, the price for the rest of us would not go up by any significant factor. In all likelihood, we'd get it cheaper, because we would no longer need to subsidise that minor market.

Not to remind you of the fact that the piracy of Belorussians etc. is supported and made possible by Americans. I think we'd get VW cheaper if it weren't due?