Vectorworks 2010

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, please. Architects have used their eyes and brains for collision detection for millennia and suddenly it's a crisis that software can't do it for you. I should be appalled that VW can't attend site meetings for me. Off to the wish list...

Yup quite right! It would be far more usefull if it was possible to effectively import/reference a larger range of (3D)filetypes from other apps into VW so that I can do the collision check myself than having a collision check function natively in the program.....

Edited by Vincent C

Questions:

Planar graphics: Can they follow the grade or only work on a flat surface?

Unified Design: Can we measure between elements on different layers?

If I make a DLVP of a model, I CAN measure between elements on different layers and of course, can in the old style of a model created using the Model View tool.

Constraint Dimensioning: Can you pull from a wall component and have it lock or are only able to constrain to the outside of the siding or the outside of sheetrock?

The planar objects stick to the Design Layer Plane Definition. So if all you Design Layers are set to 0' the Planar objects appear at Zero feet. Now if the planar objects exist on Design Layers with differing Z values then the planar objects appear separated by that amount.

Planar objects do have some limitation as to how they appear. In Top/Plan view they look and act just like the old 2d objects which are now called Screen Objects. But in other view orientations Screen objects appear with all the attributes they had before and are stuck to the Screen Plane. The planar objects on the other hand will rotate and stay associated to the Design Layer Z plane but will lose the ability to represent any fill or line style attributes.

They are still very useful in that upon extrude in any view they extrude from perpendicular to the Design Layer plane.

I can tell you it's a wonderfull tool! But you'll have to get used to it because it doesn't alway do what you want. Sometimes, you'll need to enter weird numbers to get it to another number in the drawing.

Lots of these issues have been fixed. If you know and like the old ComputerWorks' Stair, you'll be enthusiastic about this new version.

We in Europe have more need for details than in USA. So often the old stair shipped with Architect wouldn't comply to our needs.

This stair can change display upon modifying the layer scale. It means that it will always display the needed level of details simply changing layer scale.

You can store styles for your configurations. Jump between them. Load all or only parts of them. Mix.

The appearance (classes, attributes) offers a control which is more or less unparalleled.

It means that upon personalizing the stair you can set it up in few clicks simply loading style files previously created. At one point we'll be able to share these styles in this very forum, which is only advisable.

I find this tool a masterpiece of programming. It fulfills perfectly my needs for flexibility: from general planning to construction drawings.

orso

Ok, now I get it. They just changed the window pio to be able to create corner windows. We don't get those here because we build different, but I have my own tool for that. I thought it had something to do with the walls.

Yes, it has something to do with walls. It wasn't possible before VW15. Not in this fashion. It takes the new enhanced walls of VW 2010.

And no, you cannot have it already in your tools. Not at this level of precision and with these options.

Windows have gone through a big lot of fixes too.

Try it, the corner windows are really nice.

In which way do you build different?

orso

Collision detection is not so important for architects, I can see that, but for those of us who design moving machines it would be a great asset as would the ability to move the moving parts and determine the effectiveness of the mechanism that is being designed, much like in Solidworks.

We are not all architects who use this, very good, software.

Ok, now I get it. They just changed the window pio to be able to create corner windows. We don't get those here because we build different, but I have my own tool for that. I thought it had something to do with the walls.

Yes, it has something to do with walls. It wasn't possible before VW15. Not in this fashion. It takes the new enhanced walls of VW 2010.

And no, you cannot have it already in your tools. Not at this level of precision and with these options.

Windows have gone through a big lot of fixes too.

Try it, the corner windows are really nice.

In which way do you build different?

orso

Well, it is possible to do corner windows in vw2009. You just let the wall opening of your pio or symbol go beyond the wall side. I made a pio that does this. I do it all the time because we have them in many projects. I know that before vw2009, we had to reform the wall, but in 2009, we can do it with symbols and pio's. So how is it different from what we can now? As far as I understand, it's just that the window pio is being updated. But those windows that come with the english version of the program are not usable for our way of building here.

Collision detection is not so important for architects, I can see that, but for those of us who design moving machines it would be a great asset as would the ability to move the moving parts and determine the effectiveness of the mechanism that is being designed, much like in Solidworks.

We are not all architects who use this, very good, software.

So true. But 60% of users are, as I understand, architects.

Does VW, out of the box, have any ?moving parts? capability? There must be a quaint little gear simulation in the Goodies still?

Since VW is, at core, a generic modeler, I'd imagine that a team of talented C++ programmers could, as a matter of years (maybe even months), match the cabability of a dedicated program. The licence price might, if you're lucky, be even less than 100 x the price of Solidworks.

OK: a program called Solidworks does what you want. Why not use it?

How much does Solidworks cost?

Edited by Kool Aid

Has the sloping sill issue been sorted out? Does it cut out walls as they should and then, do they reflect properly in the Live Section?

Speaking of Live Sections, can we now edit objects in Live Sections (or elevation viewports for that matter) eg. moving windows and doors around as we would on plan view? (just like ArchiCAD)

Thanks,

We in Europe have more need for details than in USA. So often the old stair shipped with Architect wouldn't comply to our needs.

This stair can change display upon modifying the layer scale. It means that it will always display the needed level of details simply changing layer scale.

Earlier versions of the stair didn't really meet most architects' needs in the US either.

Though there may be many things in which the US public is complicit, the functionality of the Vectorworks stair is not among them.

Has the sloping sill issue been sorted out? Does it cut out walls as they should and then, do they reflect properly in the Live Section?

Speaking of Live Sections, can we now edit objects in Live Sections (or elevation viewports for that matter) eg. moving windows and doors around as we would on plan view? (just like ArchiCAD)

Thanks,

Yes, and No.

I assume that list of features you (1D2D3D_4D) posted is one you generated and is not available or properly detailed anywhere?

It's a little odd that N.N.A. has had their press event to release the details of 2010 without posting any official literature or details to the general populous. All this interim chatter, albeit well intentioned, coming from multiple sources trying to "unofficially" explain the details of 2010 serves what? Controlled confusion? Deliberate dissipation? Did their trumpets catch a dose of the Dali's and go limp in the breeze? :/

I assume that list of features you (1D2D3D_4D) posted is one you generated and is not available or properly detailed anywhere?

It's a little odd that N.N.A. has had their press event to release the details of 2010 without posting any official literature or details to the general populous. All this interim chatter, albeit well intentioned, coming from multiple sources trying to "unofficially" explain the details of 2010 serves what? Controlled confusion? Deliberate dissipation? Did their trumpets catch a dose of the Dali's and go limp in the breeze? :/

There are over 80 new and improved tools and features for everyone to look forward to using in the coming weeks, if they are so inclined to purchase. If one is a present user of Vectorworks, the upgrade is well worth the upgrade cost especially if one is using version 2008 or earlier.

The list posted is not an official list, that will come soon, but is comprehensive enough to indicate there is something for everyone.

NNA is not at fault here, it is the press has been slow to release the details. If you have questions regarding the details, feel free to ask, I am sure there are many others that can answer any question you may have on a particular feature or tool.

ArchonCAD is continuing to post new video visually describing how the new works. Your wait will be short before you see all the official stuff.

I It's a little odd that N.N.A. has had their press event to release the details of 2010 without posting any official literature or details to the general populous. All this interim chatter, albeit well intentioned, coming from multiple sources trying to "unofficially" explain the details of 2010 serves what? Controlled confusion? Deliberate dissipation? Did their trumpets catch a dose of the Dali's and go limp in the breeze? :/

Blame on us. We are -finally!- simply allowed to speak about VW15 now. As simple as that.

Sorry this might have caused some confusion.

We thought people wanted to know more.

Before all polished lists of features, and videos, and presentations are ready.

orso