Vectorworks 2010

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bugs me is Multi core has been implemented on the Mac Only. This is another example of Windows users being neglected. Lots of dissappointments with this version...

Multi core for Windows is already implemented in VW2009, so it's the Mac users that are left behind.

And I think that it's a great new version. But with most new things, there are some thoughts on how it will work with other things. Like you can rotate and set the center of a hatch with each object, but will I still be able to change the hatch of that object by class in a viewport? Because I know it doesn't work with pictures when you change those settings.

But I guess I first need to see it in working and work on it myself to get a better view, but it's absolutely looking great!

Oh can someone confirm if the hatch is till overidable when the rotation and size is changed?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
MW, what browser and version are you using?

here link for 2009 video features:

http://www.nemetschek.net/library/index.php?movie=2009movies

JuanP.

The link to the enhanced wall joining feature is wrong. It now opens the DCM integration video.

Please fix this because I really want to see that feature!

The enhanced wall join feature is covered in the DCM Integration video; however, we will be uploading the correct portion of the video for wall joining shortly. Our apologies for the confusion.

Multi core for Windows is already implemented in VW2009, so it's the Mac users that are left behind.

I think you're wrong on this one. Point me to the official statement where it say's VW2009 is multi core compatible.

It might be said that Parasolid is multi core ready, but it wasn't mentioned that NNA has implemented it in VW2009.

Also why there's no mention of 3D Parametrics? It would be nice if NNA can give an official statement to this.

Like you can rotate and set the center of a hatch with each object,

Although this is a much needed improvement, this isn't something to shout about. AutoCAD had this feature and 3D dimensions and a true 3D environment (where hatches and line types are reflected correctly) since the DOS days, and for VW to only get 1 and a half of this in year 2009 is a bit embarrassing. It shows the rate of development.

Don't get me wrong, I love VW, I just want it to do 100% of what AutoCAD (and Revit & ArchiCAD for that matter) can do therefore putting VW heads above them ALL. So although I'm negetive towards how VW is developing, you have to understand I want the best for VW.

Is 3D Parametrics included in VW2010? It was said that this would be included in this version and if it's not, then why not?

No 3d DCM parametric constrains this time, maybe next time. Each step makes the next one easier and this new feature will take many some time and experience to be able to use fully. The implementation is a great first step.

Oh can someone confirm if the hatch is till overidable when the rotation and size is changed?

Yes, the Viewport override hatch retains the hatch rotation and location as set for the objects hatch on the Design Layer if it is set to by Class Attributes.

Are you saying you can override the hatch pattern by editing the class in the viewport, but that the scale and rotation of the new hatch are fixed by whatever you did in the design layer?

Internet Explorer 7 - must admit we only have a 2mb connection but no problem with other downloads and the old 2008 vw videos downloaded much quicker.

Perhaps the intro marketing graphics are too big? Muct admit its a bit like going into the end of the world computer game!

Perhaps I need to update Quicktime? but I am reluctant to do that until I install the version of QT that comes with 2010.

The message cones up:

Some of the MIME types previously associated with QT plugin are currently associated with other applications. Should I restore these MIME types to QT?

I say no as I do not want to mess things up.

Well, I'm working on libraries and drawing methods for one of my clients and because we have to wait until Januari to get this new version, I have a question about those hatches in combination with floor objects in a section viewport.

So I have a floor object for the construction floor. And above that, I have a floor object for the finishing. This second floor is neede because the size is differnt. This way the floors are correctly shown in a section viewport. The only problem now is that the finishing floor is actually , in real life, a combination of different layers. (like wall components). So with the current version we have two options:

1) Draw it as annotations in the section viewport

2) Create a floor object for each component

But with this new version, I have an idea to make is easier. We can override the class attributes for the finishing floor to be able to set a hatch to the fill. This way the section viewport will show the hatch, but now it will be showing not correctly because of the center piont. But we can replace the center point now, but can we do this in the section viewport? Because if we can, this problem is solved.

Can some test this please?

And if this doesn't work, how are you handling this problem?

Are you saying you can override the hatch pattern by editing the class in the viewport, but that the scale and rotation of the new hatch are fixed by whatever you did in the design layer?

Exactly, If on the Design layer you have an object that is by Class Attributes and you rotate or move the hatch using the Attribute Mapping tool, which now snaps to object points, and you go to a viewport where that objects resides and change the class attributes for that viewport from the originally setting for the hatch from brick to fish scales, then in the object has fish scale hatch pattern and is rotated and located via the movement of the brick hatch you performed on the originating object on the design layer.

I think you're wrong on this one. Point me to the official statement where it say's VW2009 is multi core compatible.

It might be said that Parasolid is multi core ready, but it wasn't mentioned that NNA has implemented it in VW2009.

Also why there's no mention of 3D Parametrics? It would be nice if NNA can give an official statement to this.

Well, it was in one of the release documents last year. I have no idea where to find them now. They said that it was implemented on windows, and that they were working on it on mac.

Well, it was in one of the release documents last year. I have no idea where to find them now. They said that it was implemented on windows, and that they were working on it on mac.

When you show me then I'll believe it but at present I believe you're wrong. When I do adding of solids that take a long time, my task manager shows only one core working so I suggest you double check your facts.

NNA would surely have advertised this seeing they advertise other minor "improvements".

Shaun,

From the BimParasolids 2009 PDF: "Vectorworks features multiprocessor support for the Windows? operating system; multiprocessor support for Mac OS X (10.5 Leopard) will be announced in the near future." As it turns out the near future was 2010 and as I understand it this is simply the reality of modular software. As a result the mac side is more likely to suffer late implementation due to its considerably smaller market share not windows. Third party developers are going to put their eggs into the biggest basket first. So be it, parasolids is obviously advancing Vectorworks significantly.

Shaun,

From the BimParasolids 2009 PDF: "Vectorworks features multiprocessor support for the Windows? operating system; multiprocessor support for Mac OS X (10.5 Leopard) will be announced in the near future." As it turns out the near future was 2010 and as I understand it this is simply the reality of modular software. As a result the mac side is more likely to suffer late implementation due to its considerably smaller market share not windows. Third party developers are going to put their eggs into the biggest basket first. So be it, parasolids is obviously advancing Vectorworks significantly.

Lots of things in vw seem to be broken. After showing me this, just adds to that list.

Extrude a circle. Duplicate array it 100 times vertically & horizontally. Now add those 10000 extrusions to make a solid. Track your task manager. Tell me how many cores are being used?