Vectorworks 2010

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new dimension constraint system allows you to edit a dimensions value in the dimension string and it will move the elements it is associated with.

In the attached two images the dimension value was changed from 2000 to 2200 and the wall moved accordingly. The solid blue circle is the anchor point so in this instance the right side wall is the one which moved.

Wall sculpting. You can CARVE holes in the walls or ADD forms to them.

Bellissimo.

I wish Andrew Bell would tell more about them. These are Andrew's children.

Two-ways referenced resource edits. How long did we wished this to be true.

The working planes are now responsive. And visual. They are fun, something I never thought possible.

...and for the construction drawing obsessed, or compelled, the German stair.

A favorite of mine. Lost and gone for it, I am.

orso

Of the list below the best new features are the new 3d interface, once you start working with this one discovers increased modeling capabilities for all types of practices, especially with some of the other new 3d object editing and creation capabilities.

For team work being able to Edit a referenced resource in place in relation to other objects without having to open up the other file will make central shared libraries a boon when many are working together.

These are just few of our favorite things.

DCM 2d Integration, Wall Networks, Add Segment widget to Dimension OIP, Interactive Dimension editing, Dimension Standard on Tool Bar, Custom Dimension Standard Option on OIP and Tool Bar, Improved Drag, Support for Dimension Text, Chain Dimension Text Collision control, Fractional Display Style of Dimension Text, 2d/3d integration, Planar Graphics, 3d Snapping, Adobe Air Online Help system implementation, Wall and Component Join Improvements, Improved Wall Hole Editing Mode, Improved Wall Hole Textures, Automatic, Drawing Coordination, Notes Manager Improvements, Wall Sculpting, Corner Window, Stair Object Modified and Improved, Decal Textures, VBvisual Plant, Blur Reflectivity Shaders, Texture Mapping Improvements, Site DTM Improved, Parking improvements and new Parking Area and Along Path, Better 3d Graphics for Landscape area object, Grade Calculator, Hardscape improved, Event Room Layout, Video Screen Objects, Viewport Edit Crop enhanced, Retain Design Layer Viewport Visibilities in Sheet Layer and Section Viewports, Global World Coordinates on OIP in Rotated Plan, In place Editing of Referenced Resources, Purge Improvements, DXF/DWG, Import and Export improved, Selection Support for Object Modification Tool, Marque Selection with 2d Reshape now possible when inside another object boundary, Move by Point tool improved, Prevent Wall Insertion Mode for Symbols, Attribute Mapping of Associative Hatches on Hatched objects, Select Similar Tool.

Architect gets another stair PIO.

Well, to be honest, I think NNA didn't made that stair pio. It looks like it's a copy of the stair we have here for many versions. I think it's made from our distributor. Even the images (or icons) are the same.

Well, if it's the same, I can tell you it's a wonderfull tool! But you'll have to get used to it because it doesn't alway do what you want. Sometimes, you'll need to enter weird numbers to get it to another number in the drawing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Corner windows

Actually, we can do this already with version 2009.

So can you tell us how it will be different? Will it be easier? Is it one object in two walls? Or still two objects like we need to do know.

I'm not sure how you're doing it with 2009, but here is general information on the 2010 Corner Window feature.

The Window PIO now has a corner window option.

The window will automatically lock into the closest corner, clip and miter in 2D and 3D.

You still need 2 windows objects to do it.

You have 3 Options: Fixed glass, mitered sash and corner post (with setting the size and offset of the corner post). All sashes are fixed glass.

The text doesn't shift any longer when you change orientation, from left to right, for example. It stays put.

Ozzie, I am no professional user of the DTM, I can only tell you that it seems infinitely more reliable than before. And fast. Fast.

Actually the application must have gone in his core a whole lot of optimization. I made some tests between VW 2009 and VW 2010 on WinXP, where I had many out of memory issues, specially during renderings. During the same operations I could observe that the memory used by VW 2010 is much less. Really less.

Someone at NNA must have been rewriting millions of lines of code, I really thank for this. Obviously this is one of those "features" that doesn't stand out. But how much effort must have costed, none of us can tell.

The editable hatches are beautiful and you won't think to live without after trying them.

They can be edited with the attribute mapping tool, which on his end got so improved that you hardly can recognize it. It is now fully integrated on the snapping system.

Also on textures the new implementation of the attribute mapping tool has become very good, obviously, while before it was rather a trial-and-error procedure.

orso

Posted by Barrie Scott (Co-Chair St. Louis VectorWorks User Group) in the Vectorworks List (12 September 09).

I've just seen a presentation of the new Vectorworks 2010 software that is soon to be released. I'm amazed at the progress that has been made since 2009 came out. The improvements are significant, and piled on top of the changes made for 2009, the new version really stands out. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Improvements have been made across the board. The integration of Landmark and Architect is really cool. For example, a 2D site plan of landscaping and building can now be viewed in 3D, so 2D prelims can be viewed from different directions, elevations, etc. Really helpful to get a sense of how things interact before taking things to the next level.

Workflow improvements include dynamic drawing label changes, so that when moving a viewport from one sheet to another, the labels are automatically updated. They have also introduced what is called Dimensional Constraints, which allows one to constrain a corridor to a specified width so that when moving one wall, the other moves too, and connecting walls readjust as well. Pretty cool.

Importing of DWGs is improved. Corner windows are supported. Sculpting of wall surfaces is also supported, and the wall still remains a wall object.

Although I only saw the Architect demonstration, I understand that Spotlight has received a lot of attention. Apparently, the interaction of elements makes stageset and exhibit design much easier.

Renderworks has also received a significant upgrade.

There's far too much to cover in an email, but suffice it to say that every user will benefit.

Edited by mike m oz