Corrupted Dwg

PawelW

Question

When exporting from VW 2008 into dwg, Dwg becomes corrupted and it can't be opened in AutoCad. File itself (vectorworks file) is becoming corrupted as well (after procedure) and i need to restart VW in order to work with it.

I have found out that it has something to do with polylines and polygons - the more vertices it has it's more likely to become corrupted.

Anyone knows what's happening?

And it happens quite often that file converted into dwg can't be printed in Autocad (although it can be opened). Problem vanishes when i swith on "use layer colors" in Documents settings (but then i can't use class colors).

A lot of people in my office has this problems.

Best Regards

7 answers to this question

Don't know about the corrupted file problems, how large is the VW file and how large is the exported dwg. Have you downloaded all the latest Service Packs?

99% of the time printing (and other) problems with our converted dwg files originate with the AutoCAD user :) at least in my experience...... either they have a wrong setting set or don't know how to use the program properly.....have they tried printing from a different version of AutoCAD?

You can send over the dwg ...I'll have a look....

Edited by Vincent C

Pawel a little more information would help:

- Version of Vw 2008.

- Computing platform and OS.

- Version of Autocad you are exporting to.

- Version of Autocad you are trying to open the DWG file with. (And is it Autocad or another program?)

- Type of information you are trying to export. (2D or 3D, does it include images, etc.)

Have you contacted the UK distributor's support people about the problem and submitted a sample file to them along with all of your export settings? The first thing they would do is try and replicate your problem to establish whether it is a Vw problem or a problem unique to your set up.

I've never come across what you are describing and I've never heard of the export to DWG process corrupting a Vw file. Entirely new problems are rare and I would suspect it is more than likely due to your computer. Have you installed new software recently?

VW version is 2008 SP3,

OS is WinXP SP3

Comp: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600@2.4Ghz 3gb Ram, 2x Geforce 8800GT SLI

I usually export to Acad 2002.

I checked files in DWG trueview 2008 (yet i know that people that i send it to, have all these problems that i have in viewer. Command "recover" in Acad simply does not solve the problem.

Drawings are elevations (it is not a general rule though). They are 2D. Same problems happens when we recieve for example furniture layout with some 3d furniture models/splines/nurbs.

As i've written above - it has something to do with polygons/polilines/number or vertices/possibly number of groups or symbols in the drawing. It's hard to say.

Ususally i need to spend few hours to find set of polylines/polygons that behaves funny and after removing these drawing can be exported properly. It is not a general rule - sometimes i simply can't find the problem.

It's quite often in my office though. And it started when we moved into 2008 from 12.5. So i have all the reasons to believe that it is not just my computer.

After exporting that creates corrupted dwg files, my VW crashes or forces me to restart VW. In the beginnig markers around blocks and objects vanish and then, when tring to switch between vieports/layers/groups it can suddenly crash.

I'll try to submit this bug today after work - just thought that some of you might have had same issues.

Is there some other way to contact technical support more directly (except reporting the bug online)?

Thank you for your quick response

Best Regards

Not at all a typical experience. Talk to your VW vendor about getting technical support. If you can send in a sample file that does this repeatedly, Tech Support has a pretty good chance of helping figure out what the problem with the file is.

How long have you been using VW? Do you use a template file that started in a previous version of VW?

It might be a corrupt template file that is then contaminating all of the files generated from it. May be time to recreate the template file from scratch.

And it started when we moved into 2008 from 12.5.

Best Regards

Are they files created in 12 and then opened and saved in 2008, I seem to remember i had some issues with that.....even a corrupted VW file once...... That's why I started from scratch with 2009 ie Workspaces, templates, libraries etc. then copy/pasted old drawing info into the new templates etc.

When exporting from VW 2008 into dwg, Dwg becomes corrupted and it can't be opened in AutoCad. File itself (vectorworks file) is becoming corrupted as well (after procedure) and i need to restart VW in order to work with it.

I have found out that it has something to do with polylines and polygons - the more vertices it has it's more likely to become corrupted.

Anyone knows what's happening?

And it happens quite often that file converted into dwg can't be printed in Autocad (although it can be opened). Problem vanishes when i swith on "use layer colors" in Documents settings (but then i can't use class colors).

A lot of people in my office has this problems.

Best Regards

For working out troubles with dwg data you can use recover dwg. It is able to view the results of restoring. The utility is compatible with all supported Windows OS. The tool is easy to use interface for any experienced users.