Question from Newbie

Tunguska

G'day,

I'm a student learning Vectorworks in my first semester.

We've been asked to model a knife block, not unlike this one: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/jo/john-lewis-knife-block-set-6-piece.jpg

I've done the block okay, just struggling with the knife handle. That's what I'm asking about.

When you have a curved handle like this (the black part), what is the best way to model it?

I tried making contours of the shape, converting them to NURBS, moving them along the Z-axis and then using the loft tool, but that didn't work.

What would be the best way to model something with curves like that?

Thanks,

Charlie

The handles in the first link look to be made from two symmetrical parts so model one side and then mirror that to get the other half (leaving a gap for that portion of the knife blade).

To model the first half:

- Draw an outline elevation view from side on and convert it to a polyline with a fill.

- Extrude it by the thickness of one side.

- use the 3D fillet tool to round the outer edges.

Charlie, you can do the one piece ones as well by using a larger starting block element and using fillets on the edges. Converting to a nurbs surface and minipulating might also be an option.

There is a lot of useful information on 3D modelling in the 3D Power Pack area, including examples you can download and unpick to see how things were done.

http://www.nemetschek.net/3DPowerpack/qtexamples.php

G'day,

I'm a student learning Vectorworks in my first semester.

We've been asked to model a knife block, not unlike this one: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/jo/john-lewis-knife-block-set-6-piece.jpg

I've done the block okay, just struggling with the knife handle. That's what I'm asking about.

When you have a curved handle like this (the black part), what is the best way to model it?

I tried making contours of the shape, converting them to NURBS, moving them along the Z-axis and then using the loft tool, but that didn't work.

What would be the best way to model something with curves like that?

Thanks,

Charlie

Here is a file with a knife and objects that depict the steps. Beware when you draw polylines you have to make sure they are closed when creating the extrude before you fillet them.

This Knife was created using the Loft Tool for the Blade then Extrudes,Subtract Solid, and Fillet Edge tools for the Handle and rivets.

Thanks everyone.

Ok I've done the above with a combination of all those.

With the central blade and the loft tool, what are the steps I should be taking?

Do I create the top as a polygon (thick part of the blade), then a single polyline for the bottom (sharp part of the blade) and then loft between them?

Also, one question regarding printing from vectorworks?

What are the standard practices if I wanted to print my model on A3 paper with 4 angles on it?

Cheers

Charlie

Thanks everyone.

Ok I've done the above with a combination of all those.

With the central blade and the loft tool, what are the steps I should be taking?

Do I create the top as a polygon (thick part of the blade), then a single polyline for the bottom (sharp part of the blade) and then loft between them?

Charlie, did you down load the file with all the objects. If you right click on an object and right click you can then enter into the history of the objects used to create the final shape. In the above file supplied this should give you an idea of one method to create the knife.

• 1 year later...

Here is a file with a knife and objects that depict the steps. Beware when you draw polylines you have to make sure they are closed when creating the extrude before you fillet them.

This Knife was created using the Loft Tool for the Blade then Extrudes,Subtract Solid, and Fillet Edge tools for the Handle and rivets.

Can someone Please post this file as a VW12.5 version?

Thank You in advance.