New user is a bit baffled

Hello folks, I'm a new user of Vectorworks '09 - only about 4 days into the evaluation. If there is a thread for newbies, let me know and I'll re-post.

I come from Autocad and clones and from Revit. I'm very much looking forward to working with Vectorworks as it seems to pick up nicely in modeling where Revit leaves off. I have looked into a number of the free tutorials and faq.s.

I'm trying to understand the space which I would call "model" space which is the first screen upon opening the program. I've set up my own template based on US feet and inches @ 1/4" = 1' 0". The rectangle in this opening screen looks to be the same idea as a "drawing limits" in other 2D programs as it bounds the printable space that would be available in a full sheet viewport @ 1/4" on 24"x36" "paper". Is this right? What else may I be missing with this rectangle on the screen?

Is it possible to make this rectangle a light or transparent gray, or even just a solid light transparent rectangle?

I've tried a few 3D modeling basics from a tutorial and in isometric + other views, the rectangle is still there. Is this necessary - can it be turned off altogether? Would I want to? I haven't explored printing viewports yet. Still just trying to get all the necessaries for a good file setup. Will I find some answers there?

Many thanks, nice forum here, best wishes!

two

You can also move the page boundary away from your drawing area. Click on the little hand in the tool pallete and hold it there until it shows you your two options. Select the icon that looks like a page. Then simply grab the printing area and move it out of your way. I like this because I can easily move it back over to check my drawing against print boundary.

You can also move the page boundary away from your drawing area. Click on the little hand in the tool pallete and hold it there until it shows you your two options. Select the icon that looks like a page. Then simply grab the printing area and move it out of your way. I like this because I can easily move it back over to check my drawing against print boundary.

Never knew this was possible...

Why would you want or need to move the page boundry? As what is the purpose of this tool?

• 1 month later...

Another newly-arrived AutoCAD refugee here. I recently imported a .dwg floorplan into VectorWorks, and for some reason this caused the page boundary to move way off into the upper right quadrant. I moved the floorplan to center the main room on 0',0', and then whenever I hit the "Fit to Page" button on the toolbar, the view would zip off to the blank area covered by the page view.

This move page boundary tool was exactly what I needed. Thanks!