Good morning, America, how are you?

Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders,

Three conductors and twenty-five sacks of mail.

It is telling that the few sacks of daily mail by yours truly are so prominently displayed.

The meagre 22% (or so) of users from North America dominate this so-called Community Board. What little is left, is dominated by members of other English-speaking nations (thank you, WInston.) Do the resident residents from Western Australia represent the Asia-Pacific market (36%(? No more than I represent Eurasia (32%).

Now, bare with me:

(Sorry, I could not resist: an American correspondent used that expression many moons ago on the CompuServe MiniCAD-forum.)

Architects represent some 60% of users.

Thus, the Architect-component of NNA ?Integrated Products? development effort serves 60% x 22% = 13% of users. Boy, do they get Press for such a tiny slice!

What me infuriated?

Hardly.

Though Me thinks thou doth protest the press too much.

As for Bill, http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news/news/5575-bill-gates-gives-us1-million-to-medellin-public-libraries.html

On the other hand, a really cool person gamed the system to get a donation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Economy/story?id=7902416&page=1

Edited by brudgers

Very evocative lyric quote - have you heard the version by Me First & the Gimme Gimmes? Once heard also never forgotten.

Another thing - I'm not baring anything, particularly if the North Pole is involved in any way.

And, Australia is a group of islands off the west coast of New Zealand, so don't you go lumping us in with them, we more than pull our weight on these fora.

OT, really, but just before Amtrak took over, and then again after, in 1971, I rode the City of New Orleans from Chicago to Champaign, IL. At that point, the train was hardly worth writing a song about, but he sort of captured the feel.

Other than that, I wish I had some clue as to what the original post was all about.....

As I see it, you are taking the % of users from the number of registered posters on these here boards? Since most of us at least look at more than one forum, how do you calc the architects only?

That said, as a landscape architect, I do notice that the Landmark forum is the least busy, suggesting that VW isn't used much by LA's in the US, Australia, or elsewhere.

Or, do we know what % of market share VW has on different continents? Or what % of VW users have LM, Architect, Spotlight, loaded? I am always interested in that kind of stuff.

Cheers

Totally agree with Chris ... unless American Architects have more to offer than Strip-Malls & McMansion Projects

( which are easily and readily out-sourced to India, now )...

they shall become rightfully extinct !

All that stucco & particle board realestate bubble crap in Arizona, California, et al.

is an excellent example of Architecture Americana writ large. Volume = Value .. or so they thought.

For the last decade it's really been all about Architectural Retailers...

the $$$ is in leveraging the Big idea / Big projects.

Yet, AIA still hasn't figured out a way to design fire resistant ( insurable ) structures for rural areas.

Then look at all that clapboard crap that's being resurrected in New Orleans !

But lest ye be thinkin' too sentimental ... even NASA is feeling the hurt.

Russian AeroSpace engineers are darn good and cost effective.

Then why does the USA, of the countries in the world, have the most people wanting to immigrate to this ugly, over sized, Greed ridden land.

Is it that we allow ourselves to tear down the generation before us and criticize ourselves????? Or that anyone from anywhere who chooses to can succeed here in direct contrast to their background which would be a wall in most other places. If you look at the more well known practicing here as Architects, many are from all over the world, not sure why they come, since we seem to have a barrenness of any original thought.

Islandmon, you may want to travel a little more into the heartland of the USA where on sees very little of what you describe. I would start in North Dakota and work your way down the Mississippi or the Missouri river basin with a few 200 mile detours here or there.

Kindly,

Rostislav

My comments were quite specific and intended to be marginally provocative.

Although I now reside within my estate on a little island in the middle of the ocean,

it has not always been this way.

You wrongly assume that I've not travelled extensively around the USA by foot, bike, boat, car, van, truck, and private plane.

Just last year I spent 6 months re-discovering my home state of California,

and what i witnessed of the 2008 collapse... from an Architect's perspective...

was quite distressing.

I can only imagine what will happen when the Asian Termite colonies get fully entrenched in all that debris.

Nevertheless, I do concede that another cross-country trip would do wonders for

elevating my awareness of Americana ( are you offering to donate to this worthy cause ? ).

I sincerely apologize if my comments about Strip-Malls and McMansion touched a sensitive nerve.

Obviously, not all American Architects are so gainfully employed.

These days the most successful providers of affordable shelters are the "prefab home" manufacturers.