User Fields in Door Settings

Hi,

I am trying to customize the information on the Door PIO settings to include a Door Type (a letter designation), which our office typically uses to indicate the look of the door leaf(s) (all glass, top and bottom glass, top glass only, 1/4 glass top, etc.)

I am using the User Field 1 for this. Is there a way to rename this field for my own use? If I am using a number of user fields, that would be handy and reduce confusion.

I just figured out (by searching this board) that the name for the User Field in a Door Schedule database line is "UserFld1", not something friendly like "UserField1". Counterintuitive and not documented, as far as I know.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Mitch,

In you user folder, you can find the following file:

Plug-ins\Common\Data\DoorPreferences.xml

There you can customize the names of the user fields. Find the user field you would like to customize, for example, for user field 1, find:

UserFld1

Add what you would like for the name, in your case, I believe, Door Type. It would then read:

UserFld1
Door Type

In the door settings dialog, it will now show as Door Type.

One drawback though: If you create a worksheet and want this to you, you will need to manually edit the header line to also read Door Type. This is a simple edit in the worksheet itself.

I how this helps. Let me know if you need more.

Like many other resources, the door PIO will first look at the user folder for the xml file, then any workgroup folders, and finally in the application folder. If you remove this file from your user folder and place it in a shared workgroup folder, then have all users configured for that folder as a workgroup folder, they should get the change.

Jonathan,

That is the difference between the different development environments. PIOs can be written in either VectorScript of using C and the SDK.

VectorScript PIOs can be edited in the Script Editor. SDK PIOs can not.

But it appears that SDK PIOs use the XML data files to store the parameters and can be edited there.

I have a question in on what happens if you edit a critical field (like the door width) to use a different name/label. I hope we will find out soon.

• Like 1

Jonathan,

Thanks for the tip. This is the first time I'm using Script Editor. I was able to modify the "Alternate names" but any change to the 'Default' values, e.g. ID Prefix "W" (we usually use prefix B for windows), or Egress Compliant "FALSE" (I wanted it to say NONE instead) doesn't seem to do anything.

VectorScript PIOs can be edited in the Script Editor. SDK PIOs can not

Just to verify, this is correct. If you don't see the plug-in listed in the VectorScript editor, you can't make any changes with that tool.

I have a question in on what happens if you edit a critical field (like the door width) to use a different name/label.

Right now, the only fields you can change are the ones that appear in the door's related xml file. The names used for the user fields, and the default setting for hinge preference. I specifically built the xml file with all usable fields.