VectorWorks 12.5 and Snow Leopard

Easy.

Don't get Mac OSX 10.6, unless there is a truly compelling piece of software that requires it. If there is, then get VW 2010 as well.

Quite frankly, I have no sympathy to people who ?must? upgrade their operating systems, but ?can't? do the same with their production software.

It seems that you can't afford Snow Leopard. As I said: easy.

I concur with Kool Aid. You need to decide which is more important to you - Apple's new bells and whistles or the tool you use to earn a living. If you absolutely can't live without the bells and whistles then accept that you will have to upgrade to Vw 2010. You would be much better of doing that anyway because of all of the improvements that have been added since Vw12.

Frankly, remarks like these last two are patronising, condescending, and distinctly unhelpful.

First, there's a recession on, and not all of us have the workload to justify upgrading Vectorworks right now, second, there's a difference between a $US29 OS upgrade and several hundreds to upgrade Vectorworks, third, the current VW is about to be superseded by yet another upgrade anyway.

All we want to know from other users who are still on VW12.5 is whether it will continue to run on OS10.6. If you are on some other version, kindly save your comments for users of that version, thank you.

Frankly, remarks like these last two are patronising, condescending, and distinctly unhelpful.

Guilty as accused.

Without workload, how are you going to make profit from even the USD 29? Or are you a not-for-profit organisation, eg. an OS-playgroup?

The point, however, is that you can't expect NNA or those users who upgrade VW to pay for the effort to make a three-year old program compatible with the very latest operating system.

The last time you contributed funds to the development was three years ago. You could have participated two years ago and a year ago, when there was no recession. The subscribers, so to speak, have contributed annually and can, I would say reasonably, expect those funds to be used for new and improved features. (When do we want those? Now!)

Risking being held at contempt, I put to you that if you want to make money, first upgrade the production software. The operating system is rarely a significant factor in low productivity. In many areas, VW 2009 is vastly more productive what VW 12 and the upgrade cost translates to only a few days wages for each of your employees.

Reliabilitywise, the last thing to upgrade is the OS: do that only if you absolutely need the latest bells and whistles AND are sure your livelihood is not compromised.

Pray tell, my learned friend, what, in your most informed opinion, are the truly compelling features of Snow Leopard you must? without the workload, if I may add ? have, when we only consider professional use?

Patronisingly yours,

Kool Aid

PS

Just the other day I happened to find the installation discs of MiniCAD 3 (ca. 1987.) Pity I just ditched them and did not come here and demand that MC3 should be made compatible with Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard compatible with the Mac Plus I still have somewhere.

Steven,

Were you able to find out if VW 12.5 is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6? I'm in the same boat. 12.5 works just fine for me for now, but 10.6 will do some things for me that I'd like to do. I'll post back if I find out something. I was considering making a separate boot disk with 10.6 and then running 12.5 to see for myself.

Thanks for your posting,

Christopher Osolin

What on earth are you banging on about?

Neither the original poster or I breathed a word of criticism towards NNA or Vectorworks.

All we want to know from other users who are still on VW12.5 is whether it will continue to run on OS10.6. If you can give us a definite yes or no to that, great, but any other comments are irrelevant and unhelpful.

Guilty as accused.

Without workload, how are you going to make profit from even the USD 29? Or are you a not-for-profit organisation, eg. an OS-playgroup?

The point, however, is that you can't expect NNA or those users who upgrade VW to pay for the effort to make a three-year old program compatible with the very latest operating system.

The last time you contributed funds to the development was three years ago. You could have participated two years ago and a year ago, when there was no recession. The subscribers, so to speak, have contributed annually and can, I would say reasonably, expect those funds to be used for new and improved features. (When do we want those? Now!)

It's because ASSHATS like you just bend over and grab your ankles every time NNA decides to ream its customers again that NNA continues to release bloated, bug-infested beta-ware rather than expend even minimal effort toward fixing existing bugs. Enjoy the rape job, 'cuz there's a lot more where that came from.

Will anyone who's trying to run 12.5 on Mac OSX 10.6 post their experiences? I'm in the middle of something and can't afford to have VW break on me right now. I'm hoping the two can co-exist.

Thanks.

Runs better than VW 2009 does, but I have not given it the full shakedown.

I have had other problems with Snow Leopard and programs. Even Grab crashes to desktop a lot.

I think the premise for Snow Leopard is good, but the OS appears to have too many issues running programs that ran fine on 10.5.

I am attempting to reinstall OS X 10.5, but I just get a "snow" white screen when I try to boot from the original CD.

My next attempt will be to buy another HD and pull the one I have now and reload a clean install of OS X.

The upgrade to Snow is costing me hours and hours of lost time at a time when I have angry customers demanding product.

My advice, don't upgrade the OS X until all the issues are settled, which I would bet won't be before the end of this year.

The reason I predict that is because both Apple and its developers all need to fix program bugs before things are stable again.

Additionally, if VW 2009 upgrade for Snow is not going to be available until November of this year, that tells me that the changes to make VW 2009 compatible are not trivial. Most likely the rest of the software developers are in a similar boat.

Edited by Loren42

Hey mclaugh,

if you see bugs then file bug reports. They will be fixed.

How many reports did you file in the last two years?

How many bugs did you present even in the present forum?

Check your previous posts. It seems that you could do better, since you claim of finding so many bugs.

Speaking about "the minimal effort towards fixing existing bugs" you have no idea about it.

What I see is that if I file a bug report, the issue gets fixed. And there is a quite fast response too. Dot.

orso

To All:

Not all of us VW users use it full time. That's why some of us don't upgrade with every new version.

I'm a builder and I use it when I have a large project, and then I may leave it untouched for two or three years. When I started designing the project that I'm almost done with and am going to start building in a few weeks, 12.5 was the current version. Once I start building this one I'll probably not need to use VW again for two or three years, at which point I will probably upgrade. Until then, it makes no sense for me to do so.

I've been using VW since it was MiniCad 4 and I've jumped from 4 to 6 to 8 to 10 to 12.5. Frankly I can't afford to upgrade every time Nemetschek puts out a new version. I can afford to upgrade when I get a project that will pay for it.

I am, however, a bleeding edge Mac user, and like to keep my OS current if it's not going to interfere with my critical apps. OS 10.6 is not critical for me, but I would like to be using it if doesn't interfere with VW 12.5. If that's not possible, so be it, I'll just wait till I'm done designing this project.

So again, if anyone out there is using 12.5 on 10.6 without major problems, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks.

I've been using VW since it was MiniCad 4 and I've jumped from 4 to 6 to 8 to 10 to 12.5. Frankly I can't afford to upgrade every time Nemetschek puts out a new version. I can afford to upgrade when I get a project that will pay for it.

Slightly OT, but...

I don't know about the pricing structure in the US, but in the UK, the price differential of stepped upgrades (skip a version etc) vs. yearly upgrades is negligible. Last time I looked, the differential between upgrading from 12 straight to 2009 vs. 12 to 2008 to 2009 was about ?20. It then comes down to cost in time to upgrade vs. the benefits that a newer version gives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Questioning why people want to upgrade doesn't help them! We have about 10 macbook pro's which are being upgraded to 10.6 (a necessity due to our MRP solution) - and are currently using VW12.5..

There are a few issues...

1. The guide ruler becomes a little scrambled

2. The lassoo guide (when selecting multiple items) doesn't work

3. occasionally all the icons get merged into one on all your different pallet tools.

These bugs may be a little annoying - but nothing has stopped my users from working. 10.6 however, doesn't seem to be as good as I thought it was going to be and have had more bugs with the OS than I have with VW!

I hope this helps...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My experiences on 12.5.3 Mac and 10.6.3 in a 22-seat network-dongle environment:

On local or mobile Mac users (ie home folder synced back to Leopard Server) few if any new issues

HOWEVER:

For network logins there are real issues:

Exporting DXF/DWG fails unless you select a LOCAL destination and not the job folder on the server

Printing often crashes VW

Occasional random file corruption, and odd issues like a SnoLep user only being able to open a file once it has been opened and closed by a 10.5 user

I will add more once they rear their ugly little heads!!

The site is 100% Mac apart from the Firewall (KWF) and the accountant's WinXP box.